Polish Sausage Seasoning

• Sous Vide Team Blue Power User Regular Contributors

Joe Hell Now that’s rocking the house. That garlic/chive assortment has to smell like nirvana if one likes garlic which I do.
    Congrats are always welcome when the audience gives it a thumbs up.

YooperDog The family of the person I’m stuffing with prefers the fresh from the market. This will be their first time it’s not bought at a store. They’ve had 3 different brats(Blue ribbon, Philly Cheese and Supreme Pizza) about a month ago. They all said they never tasted anything so good. We told them: well duh. It’s fresh and we know exactly what going into it. Seasoning is in hand for the Polish. Since it’s going to rain all day Saturday, we decided to sip bourbon, grind and stuff. Hope you and everyone else has as much fun each day as we do.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

Joe Hell thanks for the update. Holy cow that is a lot of garlic. No vampires around those brats. I like garlic and most of my siblings do too, it is like anchovies on pizza. Somebody has to compromise. If I am making for my immediate family then I do it my way. We make large batches (50+lbs) for Christmas and Easter to share with extended family, then everyone wants to give you their input. Just back off a bit on the seasonings and tell everyone that their input was taken and all are happy. Glad that you enjoyed it.

• @YooperDogMy wife and I grew up in Texas eating fresh polish sausage from Chappell Hill. What we loved the most about the sausage was the course grind, heavy pepper and garlic flavor. I purchased all of the required equipment from Walton’s last year with the intention of recreating what we grew up eating. My son and I did some deer/pork brats and deer/pork summer sausage last hunting season. It all turned out well, but I haven’t broke out the equipment since then and would really like to do some polish sausage. It sounds like you guys have some experience with polish sausage so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I may be wrong, but I believe that the Chappell Hill sausage was a combination of pork and beef. Should I do pork only? What cuts of beef/pork do you guys use? What grind plate would you recommend for a more course grind? It sounds like you do your own spice mix versus a package or kit? That would be my preference as I continue to experiment with making sausage. Thanks - Billy

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

OKSTATECOWBOY I have made it with beef in the past, if I remember correctly a small portion of the meat block, less than a kg, about 1-1.5lbs, based on a 10kg meat block. That would be ground 2-3X to emulsify. I have used prepackaged seasonings in the past and the just adjusted them to fit my preference, so it just made sense to create my own recipe. I break down my pork into lean and fatty, the lean gets ground coarse. If you check back up this thread you will see my recipe. If you use beef subtract it from the fatty block and increase your water a bit.

OKSTATECOWBOY checking my recipe notes, 1kg/2.2 lbs beef (sirloin, round, chuck). Grind/emulsify with 45% weight of ice cold water. Run it through your smallest plate a couple of times. Keep it almost frozen and this will go better. I don’t know what size plates you have for you grinder, the lean through a 13mm/.5 inch or largest, the fattier through a 10mm/3/8 inch and the beef through a 2mm/3/32 inch or smallest. The pork is your typical pork butt, if you have a butcher shop check with them and they may sell you some pork trimmings and you can get a loin for the lean, butt works overall. Use what you got and keep notes. This is for a 10kg/22lb meat block.

I have made it with beef, but some of the people we share this with are unable to eat beef. So now it is all pork an no one seems to notice. I haven’t tried it with venison yet, but I have been thinking about trying it this fall. I still have plenty of venison in the freezer. This sausage should have some texture, not the emulsified style sold stores by the big producers.

Good luck and have fun experimenting.

OKSTATECOWBOY Meat preference. In the Cleveland, OH market, the polish make it with pork. So, that’s what we will do tomorrow to make my Polish bud happy. 🙂 In this area of the country, it’s more on the mild side of garlicy. So, like most of you said: apply the seasoning, mix it and do a test patty. Then, adjust to taste. Whatever happens, we will have fun. Thanks for all of the “tips”.

YooperDog We will be using butt and it looks pretty close to 80/20. My plates are Course: 3/8"(9.5 mm) and Medium: 3/16" (4.8 mm). Those what I will be using. First with the Course, then a second grind with the Medium. Reason: People up here in the Cleveland, OH area don’t use course for polish sausage, but do use course for Slovenian sausage. Who the heck knows why. Again, thanks for the great info.

zbigjeff local preference. No sense to make what you don’t like to eat. Enjoy

zbigjeff Well, the polish bud called around and found the real answer (not fake news) that the “local” purveyors all used Course grind. So, that’'s what we used for the Polish, Andouille and Hot Italian. It just added a better mouthfeel in the end. I used Yooperdog’s combination recipe (Walton’s mix plus black pepper, garlic, marjoram and mustard seed for the Polish. It came out fantastic. For the Andouille, we used a half ounce more of the mix to wow our taste buds. For the Italian, we used the Hot Italian mix with added Fennel seed/ground fennel. Then, we smoked half of the Polish and all the Andouille with great results. I thank all of you for assisting this old boy in the process.

YooperDog After I pushed my Polish bud to contact some local polish meat shops, they convinced him to use Course. They said that only the large commercial creators used a smaller grind. Thank God. It ended up with a great mouth feel.

zbigjeff sounds like you made some great products and had some fun. I just couldn’t stand the commercially made Polish anymore and I had to start making my own. Congrats

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

zbigjeff said in Polish Sausage Seasoning:

Well, the polish bud called around and found the real answer (not fake news) that the “local” purveyors all used Course grind. So, that’'s what we used for the Polish, Andouille and Hot Italian.

I was going to mention something like that. Many of the locally made sausages I grew up with were more coarsely ground than the mass-produced, supermarket varieties. For all I know, the local makers were finely grinding fat or the very fatty cuts, but I have childhood memories of coarse bits of fat in there (and liking that). Emulsified sausages, like knackwurst and hot dogs, were very fine (of course), but everything else I recall was fairly coarse. That changed over time, especially with what was in the supermarket.

Andouille, especially, was very coarse. I grew up around a substantial Cajun community, and the andouille I grew up with was very coarse–chunky, even, since the traditional way to make it was to hand chop instead of running it through a grinder.

TexLaw Thanks for helping along the way. Sometimes, people have something in their head (like my bud) and they take it as the truth. It takes some “event” to change their thinking. Glad it happened over here because the end product was spot on.

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

zbigjeff You are very welcome. I’ve enjoyed grinding on the courser side for my home sausage, and I’ll continue to.

Thst said, I ground a little finer for my last batch of Summer sausage, and it turned out great, but that may have something to do with the fact that I put cheese in there. That cheese essentially makes up for those fatty bits that I recall so fondly.

• Team Blue

TexLaw I remember Mr. Rytek Kutas and his brother. My Grandmother was Polish and ran a catering service in Buffalo, NY. She used to go to his shop to get some of her supplies. I didn’t see him there much but I do have his book as well.

Made 18 lbs using the Walton’s Polish seasoning w/o msg and appropriate amount of the 4 additional spices from YooperDog. This time we smoked at 225 for 3 hours, then cold bath. Wonderful outcome.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size