Meatgistics Podcast: Pro Processing Tips
Meatgistics Podcast: Pro Processing Tips
Each week, Jon and Austin break out and critique a new beer and different sausage while they discuss everything about meat. Follow along as they talk about their favorite recipes and share some of the best expert tips and tricks for making sausage and jerky. Stay up to date on the latest news and current trends in the meat industry as Jon and Austin explore everything related to meat and more.
- Jon has Dogfish Head Sun-Day Feels a 6.5% sour that was incredibly refreshing.
- Austin tried Stone’s Enjoy by 7-4-2020 which is a beer that is designed to be drunk on July 4th.
With the introduction of the "penalty shot (the person who loses the weeks Mystery Meat must take a shot of something truly awful, right now that is Jeppson’s Malort) this section now has large implications and as you will see as the podcast goes along, these shots are NOT good! The score remains 1-0 in Austin’s favor.
There is a coupon code around the 1-hour mark on youtube and right near the end on the audio version!
- Iowa trying to restrict access to private property from activists. Jon goes a “TAD” bit overboard with his response!
- How are meat processing plants, and plant design going to change in the wake of Covid-19?
- African Swin Fever continues to ravage the world, what is the USDA doing to keep our hog supply safe?
- https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/jerky-and-food-safety/ct_index This is for what Jon was talking about in regards to the dehydrated jerky that has not been thermally processed and bacteria. It doesn’t give a range, it just says that normal temperatures will not kill the bacteria.
This was a relaxed podcast and the first one we have done in a few months that we didn’t have a guest. The Pro Processing Tips might be the most useful thing in the podcast but, if you are listening to a podcast about Sausage Making I have to assume you were already aware of most of these tips. St5ill, there is good information in there and the most important part of the podcast is warning everyone that Jeppson’s Malort is not a liquor for drinking, it is a liquor for laying down and avoiding!
HBC Sous Vide Circulator we did some jerky where we started it out sous vide and then dehydrated it. It was about an hour in the Sous Vide cooker and then 4 hours in the dehydrator.
Pro Processing Tips:
- Keep the meat, and your equipment very cold. Frozen meat will grind better than room temperature meat
- Make sure your plates and knives are as sharp as possible. Marry 1 plate with 1 knife
- Check for damage
- Use the right equipment for the right job
- White oil everything
- Protein Extraction is the key
- Use a Binder
- Use the correct amount of Excalibur Seasonings (salt)
- Add ingredients in the correct order
- Keep things cold
- Prevent Air Pockets, stack like leaning tower
- Know the right amount of pressure for each casing, prevent blowouts, this forces you to start over again
- Smaller the diameter of the piston the easier it is to crank
Watch Meatgistics Podcast: Pro Processing Tips
I’m not having any luck with the discount code
bcompton53 No clue why it has disappeared, trying to fix now.
Should work now june2020 for 15% off non-sale items, max value $100
Also, while it will not take anything off of the price for a sale item a sale item can be in your cart.
Just curious. Where’re you at on the 50lb mixer and suction cups for the stuffer?
YooperDog Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Regular Contributors last edited by
Jonathan any words on the pen thermometer?
YooperDog It is on its way for sure, I am waiting on an update before putting it on sale today. If I can locate them I will leave it in the video, if I can’t get a firm date I will remove it and just out them on sale when they get here. Either way that will be shortly!
Jonathon I’m glad to see that you enjoyed the Malort as much as I hoped you would!
A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics
Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!
Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!
A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.
Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s