Carrot Fiber and Chicken brats - how much water?

• I searched and saw 3 pints / 3 lbs of water as the answer for 25lbs of chicken breast w/ phosphate and carrot fiber. I plan on a 5lb combo of chicken breast and thighs (skin on) with carrot fiber and spices TBD.

How much water / pound of chicken or per 5lb of chicken should one add when using carrot fiber? That is missing from the bag…

.6 pint / .6 lb per 5lbs? (3 divided by 5)

0.12 pint / 0.12 lb per pound of chicken? (.6 divided by 5)

Or using grams…for the water
    3 pounds = 1360.78 grams divided by 5 or 272.16gms of water per 5lbs meat?

Do you start with a lesser amount of water and mix it into the meat/carrot fiber mix and then keep adding until ???

Thanks. I watched the video and am looking for something more definitive and couldn’t find it. Appreciate the coaching!

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

ClaytonD Yeah 0.6 lb of water for 3 lb would be enough but you could add more. Carrot fiber holds up to 26 times its weight in water so your could go as high as a 1 lb/pint of water for a 5 lb batch

• Jonathon how does one know when to stop adding water? I am not selling these - just want nice plump and juicy sausages. 😀

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

ClaytonD Well some of that is going to be trial and error, honestly chicken with carrot fiber and phosphate can take a lot of water and be pretty goupy before it becomes a problem. Part of it is also going to be you know your source for the chicken, if it has already been pumped with water then that is going to effect how much water it can hold as well. In general though, it can be a lot soupier than beef brats would be able to do. I’d start with the .6 pint and work from there. I’d imagine you could go as high as 1.2 pints per 5 lb and be okay(ish) though

• Jonathon Thanks!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

13 users active right now (2 members and 11 guests).
TexLaw, jehatha, Bill Collydas, Tex_77, KillerNoms, Josh777

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 19.1k posts in 2.2k topics.
We currently have 9.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Bill Collydas.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.