• Team Orange Walton's Employee Admin

A Letter From The Walton Family

It is with great sadness that we share with all our customers and friends that Don Walton passed away early Sunday (June 28th), peacefully at his home. Don was the founder of Walton’s Inc. and even though he retired in 2009, he remained connected to many employees at Walton’s, and he remained connected to many in the meat processing industry. Don was not only a blessing to the Walton family but also a blessing to many of our customers across the USA. He will be missed by all of us. Thank you for all your thoughts, comments, and prayers as we go through this time. The memorial service for Don will be Friday, July 3rd at 10:00 am at Country Acres Baptist Church in Wichita, Kansas.
    – The Walton Family

Don Walton

Walton, Donald H. died June 28, 2020. He was 80 years old.
    Don was the oldest of seven children, born to Harold B. and Mildred L. Walton, on the family farm northwest of Yates Center, Kansas. He always said he was born at night but not in the dark, they had a Coleman lantern and coal lamps. As a boy growing up, he always dreamed of and practiced being on the radio and singing country music. He got his first guitar in the early 50’s and with the help of a book and records he learned to play and sing. His dream came true in 1965 when he was hired as a salesman for KFDI-AM Radio in Wichita. Just a couple of months after he started at KFDI he started working “on the air” doing the Sunday morning shift. During that early time, he picked up the nickname of “Little Donnie Do-Dad”. At first, he disliked the name, but it was to stick with him for his over 20 year career at KFDI. He held many jobs at the radio station. As production manager he received several awards of excellence for radio commercials he wrote and produced. When KFDI began broadcasting 24 hours he was the first to do all the all-night show. He also was program director and the last ten years of his full-time career was the music director. He was nominated for “CMA DJ of the Year” five years in a row and was a top five finalist all five years. Don was proud of the fact that he was nominated and was not upset because he never won the top spot. He said, “I never was good at politicking.” He was also one of the organizers of The Wichita Linemen Band and spent several years as Frontman for the group. He appreciated many kinds of music, but country was by far his favorite through-out his life. Don was privileged to work with and become friends with many of the biggest names in Country Music during that time. He left KFDI to pursue other interests and founded Mid-Western Research & Supply, a meat processing equipment and supply business now known as Walton’s Inc., from a small building at his house in 1986. With the help of his son Brett they turned it into a nationally recognized supply company. Don retired in 2009 turning the business over to his son. Don enjoyed both his careers very much. From his friendship with some of the biggest names in country music in the 60’s and 70’s to the many independent processors he was blessed to have as customers. Don created a company that is now in the third generation of ownership. Once he retired, he spent more time traveling with his wife Sandra.

In 1960 Don met and married the love of his life, Sandra (Perry). They had three children.
    Don was preceded in death by his parents and his brother Jimmy.
    Don is survived by his wife of 59 years, Sandra, their sons Perry (Brenda) and Brett (Sandy) and daughter Stephanie (Terry) Jennings. Don is also survived by three brothers and two sisters as well as 9 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.
    A memorial service will be held at 10:00 am on Friday, July 3rd at Country Acres Baptist Church located at 8810 W 10th St N, Wichita, KS 67212
    A memorial has been established with Serenity Hospice Care, 9415 East Harry, Suite 306, Wichita, Kansas 67207

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

Austin On behalf of my family, I offer our deepest condolences to you and your family for your staggering loss. Please let us know what we can do in his memory.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

Austin my family’s sympathy and prayers to you and your family for the loss of Mr. Don Walton. He sounded like a gentleman with a wonderful outlook on life.

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Sous Vide Power User Cast Iron

Austin Very sorry for your loss. While I didn’t know of him, your story during the live event today was touching. Is there any way you could post a few of his radio commercials for us to hear. Would be a way to get to ‘know’ him.

• Team Blue

So so sad. Please accept my deepest condolences. Again so sorry.

• Team Blue

Austin,
    Margaret & I are extremely saddened to hear of Mr. Don’s passing. Our sincere sympathies & thoughts are with you.

• Regular Contributors Veteran Canning Team Blue Power User Sous Vide

Austin and family. So sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad in October and can tell you alot of tears are shed…but the memories will keep your family smiling. God bless you all in this tough time.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Austin He really was a great man and will be missed by employees and all those who knew him as well

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.