Hard Rolls for Wurst

• Team Orange PK100 Dry Cured Sausage

Brianzipperdog123 asked about these in the Roll Call thread. I posted the recipe there, but that’s a great place for it to get buried. Plus, I’ve done a couple of batches since and made a couple of changes. I dropped the egg wash and am much happier with the crust on the top of the roll. I also made them larger (8 to a batch instead of 10) to better accommodate fillings and baked a little longer to make up for that. A batch of 10 was closer to a large dinner roll. In fact, I bet dividing the batch into 12 rolls would be about a perfect dinner roll size (and baking more like 12-13 minutes, total).

HARD ROLLS FOR WURST
    YIELD: 10 buns or rolls

INGREDIENTS

 500 g flour (unbleached all purpose 4 cups) (or sub 100g whole wheat)
     313 g water (11 ounces)
     10g salt (1 2/3 teaspoons table salt)
     3g instant yeast (1 teaspoon)
     5g sugar (1 teaspoon)
     10g butter (2 teaspoons)
     (optional, but not recommended) 1 egg (beaten with 1 teaspoon water for wash

DIRECTIONS

 Mix all dry ingredients except salt well and add water until all of the flour is wetted and there are no
    lumps.
     Let the dough sit covered for 20 minutes, then knead with bread hook for 3 minutes.
     Rest for 15 minutes, sprinkle the salt over the dough, and knead for additional 3 minutes until the
    dough is uniform and somewhat smooth. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
     Stretch and fold the dough letter-style (top to bottom and side to side) and let sit for 30 more min,
    covered.
     Stretch and fold and place dough in fridge overnight, covered.
     Next morning, If the dough didn’t double in volume, let it sit out until it does.
     Divide into 8 pieces weighing 85 to 88 g each and shape as desired.
     Preheat oven to 450 F with a pan for steaming at the bottom of the oven.
     Cover dough with oiled plastic and let proof until it’s 1.5 to twice it’s volume (about 90 minutes)
     Just before baking, slash each roll lengthwise across the center. If desired (but not recommended), brush with the egg wash (BEFORE slashing).
     Add 1 cup of hot water to the steam pan and bake for 8 minutes. Turn the
    pan and bake for 8 more minutes or until 205-210F internally. Remove baked rolls to a cooling rack for at least an hour to properly cool (although dinner rolls can be served warm from the oven).

Rolls - Small.jpg

• Team Blue

TexLaw Looks fantastic!

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Regular Contributors

TexLaw I like a good hard roll, grew up with as a kid, every local bakery had them. Now I can’t find them anywhere. The local store bakeries list things as hard rolls, but they are as soft as the mass produced stuff in the bags. I am going try these for sure, but after this wedding and all the company departs. If they taste as good as they look I will be in heaven. Thanks for sharing.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

TexLaw Those look outstanding!

• Team Blue PK100 Power User

Upstate NY specifically Buffalo does a roast beef sandwich on Kimmelweck, They call it beef on weck. It’s a hard roll butter brushed with caraway seeds and kosher salt on top. Goes great with roast beef in a french dip style sandwich.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Parksider I had never heard of “Weck” until I moved out to Rochester, can confirm it is amazing

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors

Parksider said in Hard Rolls for Wurst:

Kimmelweck I think I’ll stick to my New Orleans Po Boys roast beef sandwich Probably just like what I was raised on.

Parksider said in Hard Rolls for Wurst:
    I think I’ll stick to my New Orleans Po Boys roast beef sandwich Probably just like what I was raised on.

• Team Blue

These look fantastic! I will have to make some when this heat lets up. Thank you for sharing

Chef I’ll never forget my first debris sandwich from Mother’s.

It was 1992. I grew up in Beaumont, Texas, and had been to New Orleans a good number of times, but never without my parents, and I had never been to Mother’s. This time, I was there on college Spring break, and it also happened to be the weekend before Mardi Gras.

We went to Mother’s twice. The first time we were there, I heard the man in front of me order a debris sandwich, and I watched it made. It looked glorious. I wanted one. But, I already had bet one of the guys that I could eat a Ralph in one sitting, so I got a Ralph. I ate it in one sitting.

When we went back (I think it was the next day, but we all know how time flows differently around there), I got that debris sandwich. Oh, baby.

TexLaw My great aunt lived right next door to the famous Martin Brothers who originally invented the po’boy. It was in 1929 that the streetcar workers went on strike, right in the middle of a depression. The Martin Brothers wanted to show support to the striking workers and came up with a cheap sandwich, the bottom of the pot of roast beef and gravy. Originally it was put on a simple bread of water, yeast, salt and flour. they put a layer of french fries, coated with with the debris and “dressed” it with mayo lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles. As a child in the early 60’s I would go into the back door of the restaurant and they would fix me a roast beef poboy. It was a great time period, simple, but very dear to friends and family. Mother’s is a close second, but uses cabbage rather than lettuce for a dressed sandwich.

Just a little update.

I made a batch with 50/50 whole wheat and AP flour, and they turned out very well. We like that around here, so that might become the house recipe.

Here’s a pic of those 50/50 whole wheat rolls.

20200711_161457.jpg

I typically expect a dough with that much whole wheat flour to be stickier and a bit more difficult to handle than AP flour. If these were more difficult, they couldn’t have been that much more so, because I had no trouble with them at all (the overnight rise helps with that, too).

The next time I try these (and I will), I’ll probably substitute bread flour for the AP flour to see if I can give them a little more chew. These are pretty dadgum good as they are, though, and quite easy.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

4 users active right now (1 members and 3 guests).
rich

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 20.1k posts in 2.3k topics.
We currently have 10.2k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, elianajones.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.