• Team Blue

I am making another attempt at snack sticks. I have a cannon for a stuffer until I can afford a stuffer. I am using carrot binder. I want to know if anyone has tried this at their beginning of making snack sticks. I am using small portion of meat until I can figure this out. This next batch is about 3.5 lbs of beef. I have a masterbuilt electric smoker. I would like to get it cooked at least amount of time but will be patient until I get the proper internal temperature. If someone has a water per pound for carrot binder it will be greatly appreciated. Or what they have tried and worked for them.

Thanks in advance

• Team Orange Power User Veteran

sbtech
    Jonathan is probably the goto on this but. Only used the carrot fiber once. I used at the rate of 2-2.5 oz of water per 1.6 oz of carrot fiber per lb. Smoked the sticks until they reached 145 IT. Then finished in a 170 deg. hot water bath until they hit 160. About 12 minutes. Ice bath, then hang overnight, temp. permitting. Or hang for an hour, fridge overnight and package.

• Team Blue

PapaSop Thank you for your help. I will try that out. Jonathan has not had amy input. Will try with info I have

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Interesting because I responded to this somewhere yesterday. Did you put a question through the website or something? Carrot Fiber is great for fresh sausage but when making cured sausage I would recommend the Sure gel as it does a better job assisting in protein extraction. Carrot fiber binds water more effectively than Sure Gel but that isn’t really the goal when making a cured sausage. I’d also recommend you follow the recipe/smoke schedule in the link below as closely as possible. The only thing I would do differently would be to add sure gel, which we didn’t in that video because it was just the basics.
    https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/763/cured-sausage-106-basics-of-making-snack-sticks

• Team Blue

I only posted on the Recipe blog. I am only working with 5 lbs of meat until I get it right. I will order the Sure Gel. Is there any table on how much water per pound when adding additives like Sure Gel and Carrot Binder.
    Thanks Johnathon

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

sbtech Not a table no because it would be impossible to manage across different additives and when they are being used for different things. For sure gel with snack sticks for a 5 lb batch you can use between 1 and 1.5 cups of water, the 1.5 will be the higher end of what you would want to use and it is going to increase your cook time as a lot of that water will have to be cooked out as a snack sticks is a “semi-dried” product.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.