Water in recipes

• I am making another attempt at snack sticks. I have a cannon for a stuffer until I can afford a stuffer. I am using carrot binder. I want to know if anyone has tried this at their beginning of making snack sticks. I am using small portion of meat until I can figure this out. This next batch is about 3.5 lbs of beef. I have a masterbuilt electric smoker. I would like to get it cooked at least amount of time but will be patient until I get the proper internal temperature. If someone has a water per pound for carrot binder it will be greatly appreciated. Or what they have tried and worked for them.

Thanks in advance

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

sbtech
    Jonathan is probably the goto on this but. Only used the carrot fiber once. I used at the rate of 2-2.5 oz of water per 1.6 oz of carrot fiber per lb. Smoked the sticks until they reached 145 IT. Then finished in a 170 deg. hot water bath until they hit 160. About 12 minutes. Ice bath, then hang overnight, temp. permitting. Or hang for an hour, fridge overnight and package.

• PapaSop Thank you for your help. I will try that out. Jonathan has not had amy input. Will try with info I have

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Interesting because I responded to this somewhere yesterday. Did you put a question through the website or something? Carrot Fiber is great for fresh sausage but when making cured sausage I would recommend the Sure gel as it does a better job assisting in protein extraction. Carrot fiber binds water more effectively than Sure Gel but that isn’t really the goal when making a cured sausage. I’d also recommend you follow the recipe/smoke schedule in the link below as closely as possible. The only thing I would do differently would be to add sure gel, which we didn’t in that video because it was just the basics.
    https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/763/cured-sausage-106-basics-of-making-snack-sticks

• I only posted on the Recipe blog. I am only working with 5 lbs of meat until I get it right. I will order the Sure Gel. Is there any table on how much water per pound when adding additives like Sure Gel and Carrot Binder.
    Thanks Johnathon

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

sbtech Not a table no because it would be impossible to manage across different additives and when they are being used for different things. For sure gel with snack sticks for a 5 lb batch you can use between 1 and 1.5 cups of water, the 1.5 will be the higher end of what you would want to use and it is going to increase your cook time as a lot of that water will have to be cooked out as a snack sticks is a “semi-dried” product.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

3 users active right now (0 members and 3 guests).
rich

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 20.1k posts in 2.3k topics.
We currently have 10.2k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, elianajones.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.