Recipe for Disaster: Frankenbrat

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Mixing Seasonings

RecipeTitle

In this segment we take big swings at recipes that could either be amazing or disgusting! Today we tried making a 10 lb batch of sausage using 10 different sausage seasonings, we call it the Frankenbrat!

Prep Time

60 Minutes

Cook Time

10 Minutes

Ingredients

10 lb Ground Pork
    10 different sausage seasonings
    Collagen or Hog Casings

Nutrition Information for Pork Butt

228 calories 16 grams fat 20 grams protein 0 grams carbohydrate 16 oz Serving

Utensils Needed

Meat Grinder
    Sausage Stuffer
    Grill/Smoker or Oven

Instructions

Grind pork twice, first through a 3/8" plate and then through either a 3/8" plate again or through a 3/16" plate for a finer sausage. Measure out each seasoning for 1 lb of meat. Divide seasoning weight by the batch size (usually 25) and that will be enough seasoning for 1 lb of meat. Stuff sausage into either collagen or hog casings. Grill or cook in the oven until internal temp is 160° and serve hot

Disaster rating:

This was a very low disaster rating, meaning it was good! Every bite seemed to have a different flavor and while some of the bites were interesting nothing was close to bad. In fact, this would be a fun way to use up some extra seasoning you have! So, if you are looking to try something different give the Frankenbrat a try!

Watch WaltonsTV: Recipe for Disaster: Frankenbrat

Shop waltonsinc.com for Sausage Seasonings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Collagen Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Natural Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Sausage Stuffers

We’ve already done the Brisket with Salt and Vinegar Wing Shake and are looking for more ideas. The thought is we want to try odd combinations or cooking methods that might be great or might be terrible! Let us know if you have anything you want us to try!

• Team Orange PK100 Dry Cured Sausage

Jonathon I don’t know if this is the sort of thing y’all are looking at, but I’ve always been intrigued about cooking a brisket by sous vide. It’s something my curiosity drives me to do, but I’ve just never pulled the trigger.

I’ve seen it talked about in a few spots. One chef cooks his, uncured, at 150F for 27 hours. Another recipe cures it and cooks at 135F for 36-72 hours. Then, it’s finished on a grill or oven (or I imagine one could pop it in the smoker for a little while, too).

I’ve thought about doing a corned beef or pastrami along these lines, too. Cure (via brine or rub), desalinate, sous vide, and finish.

TexLaw I’ve done the reverse of that twice now to great results. I have smoked it for 8 hours, then sous vide it at 190 for 12 then let it sit overnight in the fridge (hardest part is not eating it at this stage) and then slicing and warming in the oven before serving. The fat basically melts in your mouth with this. Our 2nd recipe for disaster is already filmed and we used the above cooking schedule. The rub was the only thing that I was curious about and I won’t say whether salt and vinegar wing shake was a good choice or not!

Jonathon I love that idea. I guess y’all have the chamber sealer to pull it off with a whole packer? I’d have to cut mine up (and use my non-chambered sealer). Still, it might be worth a whirl.

TexLaw So we have a large chambered machine but I also end up doing things like this and ribs (sous vide ribs arent AS good but still pretty good) in a chamberless machine like the Weston Pro 2100. It’s easier to just use a roll and create the size bag I need than digging through and finding a chambered bag that can fit an entire packer and then setting up the large chambered machine for a single seal. Waaa waa right? Pour Jon he doesn’t want to set up the amazing commercial vac sealer he has access too! GOD I LOVE MY JOB!

Jonathon Even better! I can manage that, for sure.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

3 users active right now (0 members and 3 guests).
rich

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 20.1k posts in 2.3k topics.
We currently have 10.2k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, elianajones.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.