Looking for recipes and time charts on vacuum meat tumbling.

• Regular Contributors

Just built a vacuum tumbler. Pulls 26 inHg. I used my go to marinade for skirt steak for fajitas that i would usually just put in a ziplock bag and marinate for 4-6 hours. I did 20 minutes tumbling at 26 inHg and the skirt doubled in size. Basicly it would have made a mighty good thick sliced beef jerky if i dehydrated it, lol. That said, i need to rethink the marinades and brines for meats and poultry if im going to get the hang of this vacuum tumbler. I tried to research this info, and there really isn’t much info out there likes charts for times on thickness, and salinity levels.

Anyone here with some experience on more commercial vacuum tumblers that pull 26-29 inHg? I believe the more home use models dont pull above 15. I could be wrong.

Thanks
    Mike

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

mikemikemike Can we see some pictures of this homebuild?! We don’t have a chart of anything but I do have some Excalibur information/recipes with specific things for vacuum tumbling. What are you looking for, I can give you some information…payment for that would be pics of a homebuilt vacuum tumbler! Seriously, I am really interested in this, a quality vacuum tumbler can be the difference between good and amazing Jerky, Ham, Bacon, Tri Tips and especially Brisket. If this is something that others could do it would be awesome!

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon

Sure. Give me a bit and i’ll snap some pics. I basicly took a fairly inexpensive tumbler and added a fairly cheap vacuum pump, vac guage, some stainless steel fittings for the tank (ball valve and quick push connect) and some brass fittings (for the pump) and some poly tubing.

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon
    Here is some pictures, and i even made a video so you can see it in action. I really like how it tumbles forward and backwards every 20 seconds.

Without meat in the tank it took 2 minutes to reach 28 inHg. I guess i just didn’t give it enough time to reach 28-29 inHg with meat in the tank.

20200811_113944.jpg
    20200811_115001.jpg
    20200811_114049.jpg
    20200811_114313.jpg
    20200811_114412.jpg
    Video

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User

mikemikemike That looks fantastic. What was the base unit you started with?

• Regular Contributors

Chef said in Looking for recipes and time charts on vacuum meat tumbling.:

mikemikemike That looks fantastic. What was the base unit you started with?

I got it on that website that everyone uses that has “prime” shipping. I got it for $300 (website in question had a % off sale) And the pump was $60 shipped. The fittings were a few bucks each, except the SS ball valve was $10. The SS Guage was $10 as well. Just for reference, i can fit 2-3 whole chickens or pork butts in the tank. Its a 5 gallon SS tank. And its dishwasher safe! I had to take the top rack out of my dishwasher but no rust!

mikemikemike That is freaking awesome! Seriously that is so cool. You should take up making the tender jerky, it’ll come out perfectly with that tumbler!

Let me know what tumble schedules you need?

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon
    I am looking to start curing bone in picnic shoulders, boneless picnic roasts, whole briskets and whole turkeys.

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon
    Just looked up your tender jerky method. I have a jalapeno recipe that does use a good amount of sugar, not sure if its 18% but its probably close. I am interested in your glycerin tests. I checked some prices and seems $35/gallon is the best deal for food grade. But how much do you use instead of sugar? And do you omit any liquids when using glycerin?

mikemikemike I’m fairly certain we cut the water out entirely with the glycerin. I looked up the one that we got (had a red white and blue label and just said Vegetable Glycerin) and it is not $35, I am pretty certain we paid 20 something so it does seem to have gone up, but that price is for a gallon which would get you through a few batches, so up to you if it is worth it. I’ll try to get some tumbling schedules up for you on those items later today!

mikemikemike
    Smoked turkeys it is speed at 50 with a 20" vacuum for 1.5 hours
    Brisket 8 rpm with a 21" vacuum for 1 hour (2 different recipes said same thing)
    Bone-in ham would be 7 rpm for 3.5 hours. Now for that, I imagine it has to be in a cooler, just adding ice water isn’t going to cut it for 3.5 hours
    For boneless products they all simply say tumble until all liquid is absorbed, there appear to be too many variables for them to list a vacuum %, speed or time.

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon

Thanks for the vacuum % and times. As far as speed, i am not even sure if my tumbler has a speed setting. Actually never crossed my mind that speed would matter. Now about the bone in picnic, I did recall finding a study some insitute did on vacuum tumbling and their hours were between 3-6 hours and i thought about the amount of time left at room temp. My idea to get around that was buying a couple Large 12x21 inch ice gel packs and wrap them around the tank every hour or so. Just keep a bunch ready to go in ther freezer. Or i could just wait till december to do my large cuts curing, lol.

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon
    Looks like the Tumbler doesn’t have speed control. I am going to add a SCR motor controller so i can manually adjust the AC voltage to raise and lower the speed. I just so happen to have a 10,000w SCR AC voltage regulator from a old project of mine. 10,000w is way more then enough to handle this tumblers motor.

mikemikemike Can you stick something to the inside, or make a mark and count the RPMs? I think your cool packet will work. Sorry. on the hams, are you injecting first and then tumbling?

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon

Yes i inject first, then i would pull vacuum, then tumble. Now, would i really need to rest overnight if im adding sodium erythorbate to the injection brine? Mainly the large cuts like the bone in picnic shoulder? As far as rpm’s, the motor is listed at 1400 rpm. I highly doubt they are using any type of voltage reducer to slow it down. Does 1400 rpm sound about right judging by the video i provided? Maybe you can give me some sort starting point as to how your tumblers guage speed? If im at 1400 rpm at full votage, my SCR motor controller at 50% should be somewhere around 700 rpm.

Also, it would be difficult to time the rotations since the tumblers controller reverses every 25 seconds. I haven’t really messed around with the buttons yet and they are all in chinese, but my wife used some traslator app on her phone and there is one button that tranlated to JOG, no idea what that does.

Cabelas90 has stated in the past that he still holds his hams for a few days. Cabelas feel free to share your opinion and information here! When we use sodium erythorbate we just hold overnight to let everything equalize and we’ve never had a grey spot in our hams that I have noticed. 1400 rpms would be too fast if that actually means it is rotating it 1400 times a minute, which would be 23 rotations per second. You’d have to find a way to slow that seriously down, that is more bowl chopper speed than a tumbler.

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon
    It’s 30 full rotations per minute.

• Team Blue

Jonathon Everyone’s millage may vary on that however when you do 50+ hams a week the extra couple days is cheap insurance vs risking it a ticking off customers. I would say 99% of the time you would be fine though.
    We also Vacuum tumble and stitch pump our hams and I would bet that if you artery pump that 1% would be even less.

mikemikemike Okay cool, I was really hooing that wasnt what it meant, seemed like it wouldbe impossible and am glad to hear its not. 30 still seems a little fast to me but Cabelas90 can you share how many times your tumbler goes around in a minute on hams?

• Team Blue

Jonathon Id say we are around 8 RPM for hams for 45 minutes. Too fast and you can start to get protein extraction. Too long and you can also start to get Protein Extraction. I honestly cant think of anything that we tumble above 10-15 rpm.
    We use it a ton for Jerky at around 8-10 rpm for no longer than 15 min. Any more than that and we get “salt out” which we have found is actually protein extraction from tumbling to long.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

27 users active right now (4 members and 23 guests).
dwreece, mburline, JonesyR62, plumber30, alburyjohn, pepper, ttaylor

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.6k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Janolie.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.