Sheboygan Brats

• Several years ago a good friend shared this Sheboygan Brat recipe with me and since we have made over 500 lbs., enjoyed by family and friends. We started with a 15 lb. batch the first time and now we make 30 lb. batches…twice a year.
    So if you enjoy putting ingredients together, these brats will rival the best brat you have ever had!

For accuracy I use a gram scale for ingredients.

30 Lb. SHEBOYGAN BRAT RECIPE:
    25 lbs. 72% Pork
    5 lbs. 50% Pork
    Grind with either 4.5mm or 6mm plate, your choice.
    INGREDIENTS
    2.6 grams CORIANDER
    8.5 grams GROUND GINGER
    8.5 grams GROUND MACE
    1.8 grams RUBBED MARJORAM
    8.5 grams GROUND NUTMEG
    17 grams GROUND BLACK PEPPER
    34 grams GROUND WHITE PEPPER
    238 grams SALT
    378 grams SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE
    136 grams RAW SUGAR
    76 grams YELLOW ONION CHOPPED (about 1.25 onion)
    70 grams CHOPPED FRESH CHIVES (about 2 cups)
    70 grams LEMON JUICE
    300 grams ICE COLD WATER
    Stuff into WALTON’S 32-35mm NATURAL TUBED HOG CASINGS.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

clubchuck My good lord 500 lb of a specific type of sausage is a lot! I hope they shared with everyone. I have never wondered how much sausage I eat a year until just now…could I finish 500 lb of sausage in a year. Joe Hell estimate on how much you eat, and how many TONS of sausage would you estimate you make a year?

• Team Orange PK100 Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Regular Contributors

That looks like a good recipe to try out.

Thanks for putting it down in grams, too. That makes things so much easier to scale.

• Team Blue

Jonathon If I were to guess I probably cook between 200-250 lbs per year. I don’t actually eat too many sausages but I will fry up sample patties at the shop quite often just for quality control. We are on pace to sell about 13,000 lbs. in our first year of business. Not too shabby!

• Team Blue

25 pounds of 72% pork does that mean 72 % pork with pork fat and what is 5 lbs of 50 % pork . Does this mean half pork and half pork fat???

• Team Blue

Jonathon What is your opinion on the soy protein powder? Would carrot fiber or sure gel be a decent substitute or is it even necessary in a fresh brat?

• Yes, the pork to fat ratio is listed as the percentage of pork in the blend, these are the pork cuts my meat source offers.
    I made a few batches of brats using all 72% that grilled up a little dry, so I started to add a little more fat to the mix by using some 50%.
    This is however only used as a guide because even these percentages will vary, neither 72% or 50% is exact so I have also learned to adjust the blend according to look and feel.
    Which brings us to a whole other discussion about testing for fat content. Maybe Jonathon or Joe Hell know of a better method that would offer more consistent results. Because when it comes to brats to lean can be dry and flavorless, to much fat makes grilling a challenge.

• Team Blue

clubchuck I generally aim for between 25-30% fat content. I don’t currently have a way to accurately measure this so I just go by eye.

• Team Blue

clubchuck I have made brats in Sheboygan centrist mode with almost all of the herbs you mention. I believe that the coriander(one of the most unused herbs) and ginger make it a winner. The only item I use that’s different is caraway(toasted and ground) after researching Sheboygan style recipes. Congrats on your creation and thanks for your recipe.

• Team Blue

clubchuck I’ve found that either sous vide cooking and finishing on the grill retains the moisture or grilling on low if time pressed. If the heat is too high, it will cause the “fat out” result and a dry product. So, keep up the testing. Your participants will praise you and keep coming back for MORE. Just have fun while doing it.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Joe Hell I don’t like the soy protein as much as carrot fiber. The upside of the soy protein is that it is a little more versatile, it works well in both fresh and cured but I think Carrot Fiber is better in fresh and Sure Gel is better in cured sausage. So call it good at a few master of none?

• Regular Contributors

TexLaw Ditto on the grams. Measuring and converting 1/16th of a lb takes way to much time.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

14 users active right now (0 members and 14 guests).
coladad, Phantom

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.4k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Missy Kramschuster.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.