A Few Bacon Questions!

• Hey everyone! I am brining 2 slabs of bacon with the maple bacon cure and bacon flavor booster and I had a few questions.

1. On the video it talks about soaking the bacon after being pickled. Does that apply to the injection process as well?

2. I don’t have a cold smoker, which I would assume is the best way to smoke the bacon. Would a pellet smoker on the smoke setting with the lid cracked open work?

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

astrawderman 1)Yeah, you want to hold it for at least 12 hours in a 50% strength cure even if you inject it and use sodium erythorbate. This will let the cure equalize for a little more info check out the post here and its injecting section https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/385/how-to-make-homemade-bacon-recipe.
    #2) I havent cold smoked bacon so I can’t really speak to that but I’d imagine doing that is going to partially heat treat it no matter how uch you crack the lid.

• Jonathon

Actually, I think the poster was asking if you follow the same rinsing protocol with injecting as with pickling. Your video starts off with talking about the injecting method, then switches to the pickling method and the rinsing that must be done. Do you have to rinse as well when injecting, or do you go right to the smoker with it?

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size