The grind.

• Regular Contributors

Most of what I have seen on videos say you need 2 grinds. Is this to get you to a smaller particle size or to facilitate protein extraction. Im sure the answer is somewhere in the middle, but with the second grind being the PIA why not go to the smaller plate and go to the mixer…?

Interested in both the cured and fresh sausage answer.

• Team Blue

Only time I do a second grind is when I make cured. Seems to help a little with protein extraction and makes it easier to mix and run through the stuffer.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

pr0wlunwoof For fresh it is all about texture, if you grind once through a 3/8 and go to mixing you might end up with some pretty hefty pieces of fat in there and the practical size might not look right. Not the biggest deal in the world but depending on the fat quality in your meat it can be jarring to see/bite into.

For cured it is because the second grind through a very small plate is going to make your next step, mixing and getting protein extraction much easier.

Now, if your question was more based on why not just do a single grind through a 1/8" plate to start then it is hard on the proteins and you are going to overwork them trying to get large chunks through a 1/8" plate. If you have a very sharp plate and knife it might not cause you any noticeable issue but a first grind through a “breaking” plate is going to reduce the stress on the proteins.

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

This should generate some varied responses. To your first question… Yes. Just depends on what type you’re doing and what you’re looking for the final product. Typically I always do two grinds. Personally I think you get a better finished product. ( again depending on what you’re making ). With a cured sausage a smaller second grind will get you better protein extraction and a better finish. A fresh sausage you could get by with one grind but depends on the amount of meat to fat you’re doing and what you’re looking for. Sorry, lot of ifs here. Just experiment. Not sure there is a right or wrong. As far as the PIA it’s not really an issue on my end. With a #22 grinder the second grind is pretty fast.

• Regular Contributors

Thanks for the clarifications. For a cured sausage it seems to be the absolute right answer.

I’m using a #32 belt driven grinder. As pointed out its has some safety drawbacks, but its pretty effective. I have added a foot pedal and have tried to source a feed tube, but im probably gonna have to make it. It runs at about 400 rpms so I think 2 grinds will put fresh sausage past where I want it, but maybe just right for cured.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Regular Contributors

PapaSop ditto!!! It all depends what you are looking for at the end. I keep notes to learn, especially when I depart the norm, sometimes I like the end product, sometimes not so much.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

18 users active right now (3 members and 15 guests).
pr0wlunwoof, johnsbrewhouse, twilliams, YooperDog, The Fridge Raider, Cabelas90, Chef, RON PARRISH, jpbanks1

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.4k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jpbanks1.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.