Duck Season (Snack Sticks)

• With teal season opening tomorrow on the Texas coast, wanted to bring up a topic for what I plan on turning most of my waterfowl into.

A majority of my birds will go into snack sticks. My group killed around 500 birds last year so I am going to have an ample amount of meat to experiment with the different seasoning on the Walton’s site.

Last year for the sticks, I went 50/50 pork butt to lean and I was not quite happy with the end result. I actually prefer the wild taste and do not want to try and cover it up, just add enough fat to have a good end product.

My plan this year is to cut in around 20% pork fat.

My main question is should I use a binder, and if yes, then what binder?

I think I recall hearing on one of the podcasts that for the best results when working with the lean wild game, a binder is a good idea.

Also, any seasoning recommendations for wild duck sausages/cured sausages?

• Dry Cured Sausage Canning Team Blue Sous Vide

We used to make hundreds of pounds of sticks with goose breasts mixed with beef fat. Didnt know about all the stuff they have for making stuff like that. We switched to jerky after a couple years of breaking grinder knives when we missed a piece of steel shot. Was faster to use a slicer and if you got a bb in there they would pop right out. We used Cajun venison stick kits for it almost exclusively as they were easy to get around here. Everyone enjoyed them.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

txoutdoorsman Yeah I would absolutely use a binder. We will be releasing a goose sausage video and article in the next few days. We used Sure Gel and 20% pork fat. Let the goose stand out without overpowering it with pork. We used Cajun Sausage seasoning for one batch and pepperoni for another, both were ridiculously good. Let us know how they go

• Power User

to find a flavor that everyone can except will always be a challenge I would try some 5 lb. batches to find one then follow Jonathon advice on the rest

• Jonathon will do, I will order the sure gel. Glad I asked!

• craigrice I do not mind going in full 25 lb. batches because even if it is not a hit with everyone, we will still eat it all. The benefit of snack stick is that they are a great, portable blind snack.

We also benefit from having a lot of duck meat to play with. Teal are not very big birds and we already put 7 lbs. of meat in the freezer from 2 days of hunting. When the big duck season opens up in November, we really start putting away some pounds of meat.

So far, I have already purchased a pack of Willie’s, Habanero BBQ, Fajita, and Jalapeno.

I have high hopes for Habanero BBQ.

• scott farm I tried to get on the waterfowl jerky bandwagon but it has not stuck. I think the texture just does not quite get to where I want it, so now we snack stick most of the birds. If they did not take a lot shot damage to the breasts, we will keep the fat on and breast out pintails, gadwalls, mallards, etc.

We jerky a lot of venison though, so that also factors in to why we snack stick the birds.

• Team Blue

I used to know a man down in Port Aransas, about 35 years ago or so who would make the absolute best Smoked Shark & Duck chips (kind of like a small wafer of smoked jerky) that was absolutely out of this world. He would just about always bring some when we were going out to fish out of Port Aransas, before we started going further south. That was along time ago, another time, & another place, a good place & a good time!

• Dry Cured Sausage Canning Team Blue Sous Vide

txoutdoorsman We would put up around 1000 geese a year in the group of guys I hunt with. I agree that the jerky is texturally different than venison but the sticks seemed softer too. It didn’t have the same bite and i could never figure out how to change that.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

23 users active right now (4 members and 19 guests).
shoprat53, Shegge, Scott McDonough, hotwheelsrx7, cattleman54, DB1938

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.4k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, hotwheelsrx7.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.