lkrfletcher Looks awesome man! I really like some of the Kosmos stuff. Has anyone tried their Clean Eating stuff? Its on my list of things to do going forward but its a little down the road. Nice Moscow too!
Smoked wasabi and soy almonds
I’ve been making these for years. Whenever I find these almonds on sale I smoke a batch. Absolutely incredible. Many people don’t realize that when you smoke wasabi it lightens up the taste and turns it kind of sweet. Today I smoked 3 bags / 6 pounds.
Highly recommend giving this a try.
- Pour your almonds in a large bowl
- Melt some butter. I usually do 1/2 stick per 2 lb bag
- Pour butter over almonds. Mix well so all almonds are coated and become glossy.
- Cold smoke these for 3 hours. I like these almonds very smoky. So keep that vent necked way down.
- Pull almonds out and set outside.
- (Most important step). They have to air dry until you can mix them with a plastic spoon and it stays near dry / clean. You can’t get them completely dry because of the butter. This step can take 4-5 hours.
- After air drying. Bag them up and seal them.
- I freeze them.
They are awesome. Will taste like a sweet smoke with a very mild wasabi flavor and a hickory bite.
lkrfletcher I love Wasabi (oddly since I use it to describe what I hate about IPAs all the time) and I am trying to find some time to make a wasabi snack stick or sausage or something, anyone ever tried that?
Jonathon Can’t say I have.
Jonathon sounds like a joe hell question !
Joe Hell Good point, Joe, you ever try Wasabi in a sausage?
Any recommendations on just doing plain salted almonds and turning them into something fantastic? Specifically a BBQ flavored? I can by almonds by the LB from my local coop and they sell plain, salted and sweet. Im thinking the plain and then start from there with butter and a standard BBQ seasoning like a BBQ snack stick or jerky seasoning?
You might try to butter them. Smoke em Then sprinkle them with a popcorn bbq seasoning. The let them dry
Joe Hell posted this a while ago https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/1231/walton-s-has-everything-but-the-almonds?_=1603197756204 and then we did it too and can confirm it was excellent IF YOU LIKE DILL! https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/1482/dill-pickle-flavored-almonds
But the theory is proven, so I would assume you can take other snack stick seasonings and try it with that too