Goose summer sausage

• Team Orange

Hey guys,

I’ve made summer sausage out of multiple kinds of wild game. This is probably my 6th or 7th batch of Canadian goose breast meat in the last few years. The goose meat is so much more wet than anything else it seems? I took this batch which calls for 20% pork or beef trim just 1 course grind for each and hand mixed. I took this batch ranging anywhere from 155 to 165 IT. And they still appear under cooked. My recipe also calls for water to mixed which I leave out with the goose meat. If I follow this recipe with venison or bear its fine. Is there something Im missing? Or a recommendation to get the texture of the meat more dry (or dry looking)?

ss.jpg

• Sous Vide Canning PK100 Team Blue Regular Contributors

I am no expert, but maybe run the ladder, and step up your temps like snack sticks. Maybe increase the drying period. I do 125 for 1 hour (maybe increase this one), 140 for 1 hour, 155 for 2 hours, then 175 til I reach internal temp I am looking for. Just a thought.

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User

deanlorensen Don’t really know, but my understanding is that goose meat is much more fattier that other meat sources. I have made a gumbo with goose, likely the best gumbo I’ve made, but it did have a lot of fat. Not sure if that would be a factor

• Team Blue

Ay, Ay, Ay, that looks really, really good. Please, send some of that my way. We haven’t had anything like that in a while. When we still lived in the Houston area & my good buddy Bob & I used to goose hunt a lot, I tried the whole goose (Canadian, Specklebelly, Ross, Snow), did not matter, NAH. I got pretty darn good at breasting, pardon me for saying so. But the real winner, hands down, was Goose Gumbo. Never seemed all that fatty, but probably due to being wild. I have on the other hand cooked domestic goose & it is a different animal in so many ways. By the way, I remember Chef, in the good old days when we could actually only leave around 5-6 in the morning, hunt in Katy ON THE CYPRESS/SATSUMA SIDE, & be back home by 10:30, with a full limit & a belly ready for another cup of coffee & a hot shower. Those were the days!

• Maybe bump up the internal before pulling, that should dry it out I would think. Make a small one and take it to 175 and see what happens.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

deanlorensen Can you give us some more information on your smoke cycle? I’m interested in what you start at, how long you leave it there and if you are adding humidity. We’ve made goose sausage recently and didn’t have any issues of it being too wet that I remember.

• Team Orange

Jonathon I usually grind/mix/stuff 24hours prior to smoking. (I’ve just become aware of cure accelerators) I generally start as low as the smoker will go with humidity the whole time. After the first hour-ish I’ll kick up to the 180ish and leave for another hour then up to 200 or 225 if Im trying to hurry them along then icebath at 155. I follow this process and recipe with venison and its a solid winner, its one of the only recipes I actually follow to the T and dont deviate from. Calls for soy flour or powdered milk for a binder.
    I will admit in the last 6 months I’ve learned more about making stuff from meatgistics than I knew prior.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

deanlorensen Okay, I’d not add humidity during the first hour. That is supposed to be a drying stage, it isn’t going to single handily fix your issue but it will absolutely help. I would also try following the smoke schedule we did here https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/2682/wild-game-cajun-goose-sausage and use sure gel or super bind as a binder. Carrot Fiber isn’t a good choice for what you are trying to accomplish here.

Glad you are getting good use of the site, it’s what we made it for!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

17 users active right now (0 members and 17 guests).
Sparty2131, alanburkholder, pepper, wvhunter1965

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.4k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Missy Kramschuster.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.