Masterbuilt won't Smoke

• Regular Contributors

Joe Hell

What other smoker do you have besides a Masterbuilt? Auber AFIAK only sells PID controllers. They might sell a controller and a blower for charcoal, but i am not aware of any Auber product that somehow magicly works with Electric smokers like Masterbuilt that is the topic of this thread. Seems like you and the other guy are barking up the wrong tree? I suggest both of you look into pellet smokers. I have wasted $$$ over the years with electric, gas/charcoal, charcoal smokers over the years. Pellet is the way to go.

• Team Orange

mikemikemike Dude. Work for Auber? Seriously? We’re just having a talk here.

I absolutely agree with you that modding a digitally controlled electric smoker is outside the realm of the “average joe”, though it is not exactly rocket surgery.

I am “the average joe”, but I was so profoundly frustrated with my smoking experiences I devoted a slightly illogical amount of energy and expense to the problem. But am very satisfied with the result.

As I said already, I claim no expertise. And though I am not anxious to spend more money right now I am wide open to being educated on “new technology”.

The Auber is my only experience with a PID – so you are correct I am not informed on the technology of other PIDs. I am in no position to debate the relative merits of the Auber vs alternatives.

If you have anything to say about PID’s, I look forward to becoming better educated on the topic. I have no “brand loyalty”, and just want to smoke well, often, and easily. By all means, mention better/cheaper products than Auber. If anyone wants to debate you about it, it won’t be me - I barely know anything about the topic and have no preconceptions. I’m just here to enjoy smoking. Using a PID has increased my enjoyment.

• Regular Contributors

KillerNoms

You still have not answered my question. What type of smokers are you working with besides an Electric Masterbuilt?

I can’t inform you on a better alternative till i know what you are working with.

• Team Orange

Like I said, I’m just in it for the smoking. I decided I wanted to go PID controilled. And decided I liked the 40" masterbuilt box up on a rolling pedestal. I have no desire to attack or defend the MB brand. The reality is that they are built to a price point and marketed to an audience that is price sensitive. Slaving the MB40 to my Auber has achieved all of my goals without spending way more than I thought made sense.

I do not question that your pellet burner has achieved your goals. I just happen to prefer electrics, now that I have control of the temp via the PID, and over the smoke via the mailbox mod. I’m just a happy smoker sharing my experience, not a brand or technique evangelist looking to save souls.

• Regular Contributors

KillerNoms said in Masterbuilt won't Smoke:

Like I said, I’m just in it for the smoking. I decided I wanted to go PID controilled. And decided I liked the 40" masterbuilt box up on a rolling pedestal. I have no desire to attack or defend the MB brand. The reality is that they are built to a price point and marketed to an audience that is price sensitive. Slaving the MB40 to my Auber has achieved all of my goals without spending way more than I thought made sense.

I do not question that your pellet burner has achieved your goals. I just happen to prefer electrics, now that I have control of the temp via the PID, and over the smoke via the mailbox mod. I’m just a happy smoker sharing my experience, not a brand or technique evangelist looking to save souls.

So you have a Electric MB40. How exactly are you controlling that with a PID controller? As far as i know, once you pull the plug on a MB it resets to zero. I don’t know of any models that keep heating up after power is lost.

• Team Orange

The Auber requires no “magic” to work with any analog electric cooking device. They don’t work AT ALL with any digitally controlled cooking device.

The MB40 I bought needed to be modified (using simple instructions available on the web) to route around the controller and allow the heating element to be controlled by a PID - turning it into an analog cooking tool. Some electric smokers, including some MB smokers, are natively analog and will require no such modification.

And, as I’ve said before, the PID is great for other cooking tasks using tools that are already analog. Like most crock pots, or roaster ovens. I really like it. 22quarts of venison stock placidly processing in my garage at a precise 190° for 24 hours or so makes me kind of giddy.

I’ve used a couple of iterations of MB30’s over the years, and have smoked on a kamado joe using a partyQ. And caveman style using a Weber grill. And over a water smoker. If I had more budget, motivation and time, I’d probably be looking at a reverse flow stick burner. But this MB40/Auber/Mailbox is a combo that works better than any other setup I have used. If you got the impression I think it works better then setups I have NOT used, you are reading more in to my words than is actually there.

Whether Aubers that can be set up with a blower for charcoal is something I never researched. And it really has nothing to do with this thread. I never looked into it, because it had nothing to do with my setup.

I did buy the Auber circulation fan kit, for installation in the MB box - which handily prevents hot/cold spots. Really happy with it.

• Team Orange

mikemikemike Our posts are crossing. As I said, I modified it using simple instructions available via a quick google search. It bypassed all of the digital electronics. My MB40 is now just a nice box with a heating element completely controlled by my Auber.

• Thanks this is my third and I would venture to say my last. Very poor customer service!

• Team Blue

mikemikemike Barking up the wrong tree? I’ve never used a PID controller on anything. Perhaps you quoted the wrong user? My experience is with Masterbuilt, Cookshack and one other brand I can’t remember off the top of my head.

• Sous Vide Canning PK100 Team Blue Power User Regular Contributors

Joe Hell
    This Same kind of thing I experienced with my Bradley. Lots and lots of problems, no answers. Which is why I started looking at the PK100. Ended up getting a steal in a used one.

• Regular Contributors

KillerNoms said in Masterbuilt won't Smoke:

mikemikemike Our posts are crossing. As I said, I modified it using simple instructions available via a quick google search. It bypassed all of the digital electronics. My MB40 is now just a nice box with a heating element completely controlled by my Auber.

I understand what you did. Its not a easy task for the average joe though. I don’t think pid is needed for electric, but pellet is a whole other ball game. You should look into it, especially if you have the electronic knowledge to modify. You can get a Pit Boss on sale for cheap, and add a Rec Tec WiFi controller.

• Team Orange

I have no criticism to offer for the Pit Boss. I’m sure it works great. But I just can’t manufacture a reason to spend money to “solve” what is already working perfectly for me.

And, having done it myself, I believe an “average joe” with any wiring experience at all could follow the instructions to mod a digital MB box for PID control. I’m not an advanced or professional wiring guy, and it was simple for me. It was maybe an hour job, taking my time.

The now-defunct 340G gave me a box tall enough to handle the hanging sausage I process and wide enough to handle full racks of ribs without trimming. Nirvana. And the raised, wheeled platform made it mobile and ergonomically accessible. And the Auber makes it feel like an extension of my will.

It’s like motorcycles. I want a LOT of them. If I could have 10, I’m sure at least one would be a Harley. But I can only have 1 so it’s a BMW. I can’t have 10 smokers, so I don’t have a pellet burner.

NOW who have I annoyed??? 😉

• Regular Contributors

KillerNoms I am Annoyed you didn’t mention what brand Motorcycle. 😛

• KillerNoms
    I did the mailbox mod several years ago on mine also and I love it.
    774534A8-EA27-4945-88DA-2C079073698B.jpeg 25001054-81D1-4CAA-9E73-D858DDE5E266.jpeg

• Hi does your MB Smoker still heat. If yes ok if not I would suspect a bad heating coil. I have changed mine 2 times in 5 years.

• Masterbuilt

Thanks to everyone for the conservative replies. Yes the heats and the product was a success, I used my cold smoke attachment for the smoke input. I believe the element was never on long enough to ignite the chips with the step smoke schedule in the hot ND day. Thanks again for the good input from everyone. Dewey

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

28 users active right now (0 members and 28 guests).
amorr19, awhite73, Kentucky Fisherman, bubba_mcnabb

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 24.9k posts in 2.6k topics.
We currently have 11.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, 92966rich.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.