SMOKED GARLIC HUMMUS

• Sous Vide Canning PK100 Team Blue Regular Contributors

As I was already smoking almonds today, I decided to add a shelf with 2 garlic heads to make some hummus. It came out pretty incredible. Hummus is an acquired taste, but you may want to try this one next time you have a gathering.
    Ingredients:
    2 heads of garlic -
    2 teaspoons of chopped jarred garlic.
    2 14.5 cans of garbanzo beans (strained and rinsed) - Reserve the juice.
    5 tablespoons of Extra virgin Olive Oil
    Juice of 1 Lemon
    1 1/2 tablespoons of salt
    5 tablespoons of sesame Tahini
    Paprika for garnish

Step 1 - Take your 2 garlic heads and cut the stem off so that the garlic cloves are exposed - coat in olive oil and add to your smoker - I was using hickory, but you can use any flavor you want to. Smoke for 30 minutes. Then transfer them to oven at 400 for an additional 45 minutes to really roast them well.
    Once done let them cool and simply push the cloves right out of the head.
    1.jpg
    4.jpg

Step 2 - To a food processor add the rinsed garbanzo beans and 2 teaspoons of chopped garlic.

2.jpg

Step 3 Give it a pulse for 10 seconds, just to smooth the beans out. Use a spoon to clear sides of processor off. After the pulsing, add the remainder of the ingredients to the food processor and process them until smooth. Next you will add into the mix 5-6 Tablespoons of the reserved garbanzo bean juice and re-mix it - You can add whatever amount of the juice you would like to get the consistency that you want.

5.jpg

Step 4 - Move to serving bowl - sprinkle a little smoked paprika on top, let it chill and enjoy.

6.jpg

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

lkrfletcher That looks good, I love humus, that Tahini can make it expensive to do at home though!

• Team Orange PK100 Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Regular Contributors

I love hummus and make it fairly often.

Have you tried fermenting it? It adds a little zest to it. Just substitute something like yogurt whey or sauerkraut brine for your liquid (up to about 1/4-1/3 cup for the amount of garbanzo beans you’ve used) and let it sit out overnight. Obviously, the whey or brine needs to be some sort of active culture or, at least, not pasteurized. I usually use brine from my home made sauerkraut (fairly neutral flavor, actually) or kimchi (very interesting flavor there).

It sounds a little crazy, but it makes some great stuff!

Another tasty variation is to add the zest from that lemon you juice.

• Sous Vide Canning PK100 Team Blue Regular Contributors

TexLaw

Making more next week. I will give this a shot. Thanks

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (0 members and 11 guests).
Chad Schwind

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 23.4k posts in 2.5k topics.
We currently have 11.0k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, rescuefoot.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.