• Regular Contributors

Am making some German brats and wondering if I could smoke them at low temps for 30-45min. pull out and cold soak them to stop the cooking, dry and package to be fully cooked later? Would smoke adhere to brats, would they still be safe? Just want some smoke flavor,but not with a liquid.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

tarp Danger zone is 40-140 and bad things can happen in as little as 20 minutes. If you add some sure cure to it you would be fine. Now, you are going to fully cook it later so the only real danger is if botulism spores are created, they are more difficult to kill than just the bacteria. How likely is it that botluism or other harmful bacteria will be created? Well, I can’t actually answer that as there are jus too many variables involved. What I can say is if you are going to do this use meat that you are 100% certain of and disinfect your cutting board, your knife and any other surfaces this will touch. I’d also personally pull it after 20 minutes but you can make that call on your own. Either way my thought is that you will be alright but I would certainly just eat a small amount the first time you cook them later and wait 24 hours to see if they cause you any issues.

One other option, Hickory Smoke Powder isn’t a liquid and is a simple way to add a smoke flavor, though I get the feeling that isn’t want you are looking for.

• Regular Contributors

Yup it has a cure in it and sit overnight. Sounds a little iffy on safety to me as I suspected. Think I’ll pass.
    Thinks for the quick response.

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

Jonathon said in smoke just a little:

One other option, Hickory Smoke Powder isn’t a liquid and is a simple way to add a smoke flavor, though I get the feeling that isn’t want you are looking for.

I was about to say just that. A little bit of the hickory powder might work great if you just want a touch of smoke. The aroma and flavor are fairly authentic.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

tarp If you’ve added sure cure you are solid 100% no worries, go for it, you won’t have any issues!

• Regular Contributors

OK Thanks
    Garry

• Regular Contributors

Well if you do decide to do it, make sure you bag the brats before soaking in an ice bath, otherwise your going to lose all that smoke flavor into the water. Personally i have used this method many times and never got sick. The ice water chills the meat below 40 very quickly.

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

mikemikemike That’s the first I’ve heard of anyone talking about packaging up sausage before cooling it in an ice bath or shower.

I’ve not had any issue with losing too much smoke flavor or aroma in an ice bath or even a longer sous vide. Obviously, some washes off. I can smell it in the sous vide water, although I don’t smell anything in an ice bath. In either case (or both cases combined), I’ve been quite happy with the smoke level in my final product.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size