• Team Blue PK100 Power User

Ok folks need some help here…I have a Weber Smokey Mountain that i use a BBQ Guru PartyQ to regulate the temp on and it does a great job. Here’s the dilemma, I have a Weber Summitt Charcoal and I’d like to use a Guru on it but I’m TERRIFIED to go drilling a hole in the side of the double walled kettle. Anyone out there using one on a weber summitt?

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

@Weber I tagged the weber group for you, good luck, that is a dilemma!

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

the only webber i own is a gas grill but i think that you would need to sleeve the drill hole and then mount the thermostat in it

• Regular Contributors

Parksider
    I have done a lot of custom controls on a variety of smokers and coolers. One thing I do before drilling and cutting any steel is do trial runs with just temporary placement of sensors and heat sources.

After I know something will function correctly, then I start planning the permanent installation.

I never rush the planning phase, because I want to avoid making a big hole only to find out something I can’t see is in the way . Usually a do a lot of measurements on the inside and outside.

On a double walled box, once I know where I think I want an opening, I will drill a tiny pilot hole, maybe 3/32nd" and just through the first layer. Then I use a tiny wire to probe the hole and make sure there are no wires, structures or other obstacles between the inner and outer skin of the cabinet.

Once I have determined nothing is in the way, I drill all the way through with the pilot bit and then complete the hole to the final dimensions.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size