Meatgistics Podcast: Top 5 Meat Hacks for Snack Sticks

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Podcast Banner

Meatgistics Podcast: Top 5 Meat Hacks for Snack Sticks

Each week, Jon and Austin break out and critique a new beer and different sausage while they discuss everything about meat. Follow along as they talk about their favorite recipes and share some of the best expert tips and tricks for making sausage and jerky. Stay up to date on the latest news and current trends in the meat industry as Jon and Austin explore everything related to meat and more.

Beautiful Beverages

Jon is solo today but still drinking! Today he has Bid Idjit from Dugges Brewery and this was a serious beer! To quote an old Monty Python skit this is an excellent hand to hand beer! Filled with lots of flavor it is also extremely high in alcohol!

Top 5 Meat Hacks for Making Snack Sticks

#1 Add humidity by adding an oversized pan and sponge or dry wick material.
    - What we are trying to do here is avoid “the stall” which is when the evaporation energy matches the thermal processing energy
    - Adding relative humidity makes it harder for evaporation energy to slow down the cook
    - We are making it easier for the water to evaporate as we are increasing the surface area.
    - During a short 4 hour period we were able to empty a very large oversized water bowl in our PK 100 Smoker with a dry wick towel.

#2 Use a binder and a meat mixer
    - Protein extraction is the key to making good sausage. It prevents the fat from rendering out of the meat during the long smoking process.
    - Binders help everything stick together
    - Prevents fat out
    - Much easier to get protein extraction with a mixer than hand though it can be done by hand as well
    - All binders act differently but have similar aims. Carrot Fiber is best used for fresh sausages like bratwurst.
    #2A Know your additives
    -Seasoning (salt content)
    -Sure Cure (botulism spores)
    -Sure Gel / Super Bind / Soy Protein Blend
    -Encapsulated Citric Acid
    -Sodium Phosphate (maybe)
    -Sodium Erythorbate (accelerator without the tang)
    -Smoked meat Stabilizer
    -Cheese
    -Water

#3 Pull at 130 and finish sous vide
    - Parksider is a well established Meatgistics member and has shared plenty of great tips and information on here, but this is the one that probably has helped more people than any other user tip.
    - As I talked about on the podcast vacuum packing is really only necessary if you are using a Sous Vide Circulator that pulls water in and circulates it back out. In that case you run the risk of clogging a filter with fats, oils or even small pieces of casings. Surprisingly, finishing it up without a vacuum bag does not cook any smoke flavor or any flavor out of the meat.

#4 Fat content or raise pH
    - For most sausage you want to be between 20-30% fat content, we always prefer pork fat as it is creamy, very light in color and has very little taste.
    - Cold Phosphate raises the pH of the meat which lets it bind more effectively to the water, helping more of it stay in the meat during the cooking process.
    - Fat effects the flavor by melting in your mouth and coating it, letting you experience the flavor more intensely and longer.
    - Too much fat will render almost no matter what

#5 Start your smoker within 20 degrees of products living weight
    -Don’t stress proteins
    -Prevents case hardening
    -Get as close to this as possible, a propped lid/door will bleed heat from your smoker or oven but you have to be able to monitor ambient temperature

Watch Meatgistics Podcast: Top 5 Meat Hacks for Snack Sticks

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User

Jonathon Great podcast. My smoker has the ability to control both temperature and humidity. I see your temperature schedule, does a humidity schedule exist that you know of? Thanks

Chef it does for some things. For example we have a humidity schedule for jerky here https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/625/how-to-make-homemade-restructured-jerky-recipe and I will get some meatgistics university stuff up with some humidity schedules for different products… sadly, I don’t know when, as soon as I can carve out a few days!

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User

Jonathon Would you guess that the thermal process as in the reconstructed jerky would be a good place to start for snack sticks? My first guess is that it would be too low, but I defer to your guess, which is much better than anything I could come up with. That chamois thing you used I would only think would add much more moisture than listed in the reconstructed jerky process.

As always, thanks

Chef yeah, I would ay that is going to be on the low side. I’ll try to take a quick look at an excalibur book I have when I get back in the office later today.

Chef here is some snack stick information on relative humidity
    Basic smoked schedule for cured sausages
    Stage Time Dry Bulb Wet Bulb Relative Humidity Smoke Damper Position
    1 30 min 120° 0° 0 No Open
    2 30 min 145° 100° 21 Yes 2/3 shut
    3 30 min 175° 155° 60.5 Yes 2/3 Shut
    4 Until IT is 160 175° 170° 88 no Shut

Jonathon Thank you I’m going to get this started today or tomorrow.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

15 users active right now (1 members and 14 guests).
YooperDog, zbigjeff

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 23.4k posts in 2.5k topics.
We currently have 11.0k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, rescuefoot.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.