Back Fat vs Pork Butt w/Venison

• Team Orange

Hey guys, again, come seeking your wisdom.

I was gifted about 15lbs of leaf lard and back fat. I ground it all through my 10mm plate packaged in 1lb packs and put into the freezer last night. I do a variety of stuff with waterfowl, turkey, and ALOT w/venison. I’ve kinda learned what I prefer for mixtures for the things I make BUT I have always purchased pork butts and ground them for my pork mixtures.

Is it ok to just use the pork back fat instead of pork meat/fat? How should I adjust my ratios. I assumed pork but are about 30% fat? Will my products turn out differently with straight wildgame and pork fat?

Rough Ratio: lean/pork butt
    Brats: 40/60
    Snack sticks: 60/40
    Bulk sausage: 70/30
    Summer sausage: 85/15

If its not desirable to use Im not really out much and can use it to feed the birds.

Thanks

• Team Orange

When i process venison I always use pork fat. Usually 10% in my hamburger, 30% for meat sticks and summer sausage. Always turns out well. I have a local butcher order a 25# box and I split it into 1# packs and freeze. I mix it in when I grind.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

deanlorensen Great gift! So, what I’d do is save that pork fat and use it with your ducks/geese and other birds. I am finding more and more that I prefer pork fat when making sausage from fowl as mixing it with pork butts works but the bird kind of gets run over. Using just pork fat will let the bird stand out more and that is a good thing! Deer can stand up to pork better so I would go ahead and keep doing the pork butt thing with that.

For any sausage like to be in the 70/30 to 80/20 range so I’d just add 2 lb of pork fat to 8 lb of goose. Figure the goose or duck has some fat (depending) already so adding enough to be at 20 should get you in the right area! Enjoy and make sure to share pics. If you like Pepperoni, goose with pork fat is awesome for pepperoni

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

13 users active right now (0 members and 13 guests).
daktiner

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 23.4k posts in 2.5k topics.
We currently have 11.0k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, rescuefoot.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.