Insta cure #1 question

• I mixed up a brine to make Canadian bacon from a 2.55lb pork loin.
    I think I may have used to much insta cure#1.

The recipe called for
    1/2 gal water
    1/2 Cup table salt
    1 Tbl #1 insta cure
    1/2 Cup B Sugar
    1/2 Cup Canadian Maple Syrup
    1Tbl W Pepper
    1Tbl G Garlic powder

Is this going to be safe tho eat? Seems like way to much cure? I would have thought 1 1/2 tsp #1 insta cure would be correct.

Did I screw it up? I’m really concerned if it is safe to eat.

HELP.

It is currently curing in fridge.

Thanks
    Bill Holt

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

unclebill In general I don’t respond much to home recipes, this is because A) it’s not what we selland B) I honestly don’t have much experience with it! But’ll try to help out here.

How long did it sit in there for? Yeah 1 tbl is too much but you added it to a half gallon of water and nowhere near all of that water got into the meat. Your ingoing parts per million is certainly higher than the USDA would recommend (for bacon is 200 ppm for dry rub and 120 for injection) but I don’t think it will be too much of an issue for you. The reason they limit ingoing ppm of nitrate is because when meat that has been exposed to higher levels than that are charred they develop some carcinogens, as long as you don’t char you Canadian bacon you should be fine.

Now, this is based around the idea that you are using this for personal use, if you are selling this it has to be thrown away as it does not qualify as Bacon.

• Jonathon
    Thanks for the quick reply. The infor is invaluable to everyone.

• Uncle Bill I’ve reviewed processing operations under FSIS inspection. Here’s a calculation for determining nitrite levels.
    You must determine the pickup of the brine solution( such as 10% for example) multiply that times the restricted ingredient which is .o625 for pink salt) then multiply that times 1,000000.

Then divide that by the weight of the brine solution. In your case keep everything in ounces. Therefore your solution weight would be approx. 67 ounces.
    Let’s say your 1 tablespoon of pink salt weighs .6 ounces.

Let’s say your product picked up 10% pump
    Calculation is
    10% x (,0625 x.6) x 1,000000 divide this by the weight of the brine solution(67)
    Your ppm is approximately 57 ppm
    Requirement for bacon is + or - 20% of 120 ppm.

• Thanks! That is way above my head, so I appreciate the importance of your input into my quandary.

It’s so assuring and satisfying to have such members support. This is why I use Walton’s.

• unclebill
    Additionally if my memory serves me correct it’s not considered a cured product if there’s less than 60 ppm of ingoing sodium nitrite

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size