Fat out, anything other than protein extraction?

• I’m a home processor and I made summer sausage today and had a huge fat out issue. We thought we had good protein extraction, is there any other reason why that happened?

Also the meat is a grayish color, any ideas why?

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Trevor Abrams Cure didn’t activate would be my guess. Can you give us some more information on your cook schedule, additives, meat block? It’s also possible the issue is with the meat itself, if it didn’t hold the fat and never turned that nice pinkish red from the cure then I’d say its a possibility. Where did you get the meat, did it have any off or odd smells?

When you were mixing the meat it should have turned greyish and then when your thermal processed it and then let it sit out at room temperature it should have “bloomed” or turned that really nice color we want.

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

Your cook schedule definitely could do it. If you get too hot too fast, you can get some massive fat out.

• Thank you, I can’t believe we made that mistake. I just talked to my processing partner and we forgot the cure. We use the sure gel and the encapsulated citric acid but we forgot the cure. Is it safe to eat if we got it to 160 degrees?

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

Trevor Abrams What was your cook schedule?

If you followed a typical cook schedule for a cured sausage, you probably were in the “danger zone” for longer than is considered safe.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Trevor Abrams Can you tell us how long it was smoking for? It might be okay, but there is no doubt you were in the danger zone for too long. Now, it still might be okay but personally, I’d toss it to be safe. If you’re unwilling to do that I would try a small amount of it and wait for a day, if you’re fine then it should be good but I absolutely would not feed any to kids or the elderly. If we get food poisoning, oh no gonna be a rough few days in the bathroom. If a kid or older person gets it it can have serious ramifications.

Also, it has happened to lots of us, I have realized it AFTER stuffing and have had to splitcasings and empty them then remix and restuff

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size