HELP SAVE BREAKFAST SAUSAGE

• Have a question, shortly after I got all my pork butt, antelope and pork fat mixed up, I got an emergency phone call that I needed to go to hospital as my brother had been involved in a car accident due to shitty road from our lovely winter storm the past few days. I know its not ideal but Im going to have to pack these tomorrow. The plan is to do 15 pounds of sausage links and the rest of the breakfast sausage will be pack in game bags at 1 pound bags. So What problems am I going to face and is there anything else I need to do? Might be for the best anyways as I cooked a sample patty when I got home and had good flavor but was little dry so need to add another 1.5 pounds pork fat.
    ANY help is greatly appreciated as I dont want all this money and time on the batch go to waste. So please HELP!!!
    THANK YOU!!!

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

GODUCKS there shouldn’t be an issue with stuffing them later or adding additional fat, spices, etc…

I have had similar issues. Also, when we are doing a large volume of fresh sausage we will grind, mix, adjust, allow to rest overnight then do all the stuffing and packaging the next day.

It is a bit different when you are making cured sausages, with or without cure accelerators and so on.

• YooperDog

WHEW!!! Thanks for putting my mind at ease and letting me know im good, really appreciate u taking the time to respond. Have a great night.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

GODUCKS you may need to add a bit more water/liquid before stuffing to make it flow a bit easier. Other than that you should be good to go.

• YooperDog thanks for the heads up, appreciate it.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

GODUCKS First, I hope your brother and your family is okay and doing well! Second, what you are packing into the 1 lb bags should be 100% fine, that won;t be a problem as you can use a large stuffing tube. Where you might run into an issue is with the stuffing into the links. Since the meat has been sitting after it has had the seasoning (especially the salt) mixed in it will start to set up and become a little more difficult to deal with. Mixing it again will help a little but be careful not to overdo it, your meat right now is probably going to start extracting proteins very quickly. Now, that isn’t the end of the world or anything, it might just give you a different texture than you are used to from a breakfast sausage. All in all I think you will be fine!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size