• Got my package of dry rub bacon cure/seasoning in last week and finally I’m ready to do my first batch of smoked bacon using this mix. I’ve made several batches of bacon in the past using a Food Network recipe so I familiar with the process.

In the past I’ve always used bags to store the bellies in during the curing process. In the video (awesome channel guys!) the boys put the pork in a meat lug and then in the fridge for several days. Is there a difference?

Also, what is the purpose of adding the bacon flavor enhancer…I mean other than to enhance the flavor? Can someone who’s used this comment?

After curing, they get soaked for a bit till I test cook a piece that I’m happy with from a salt standpoint. Then, I’ll put them on racks in the fridge for a day or two to form a pellicle and then smoke them to likely around 140…then back to the fridge for a day or two to mellow out.

My biggest questions are having them in an open air container, and the use of the enhancer. I’m pretty sure some of you guys with a lot more experience in these areas have something to say so let’s hear it!

All input welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

Camardelle there isn’t really any difference between leaving the bellies in a lug or plastic bag. The bagged version takes up less space in the fridge. Some folks like to flip them everyday and the bag reduces clean up. The bacon booster helps bring out more of the bacon flavors you expect. Try one with and one w/o and see what you prefer.

If I am doing only one belly or less I use the plastic bag method, that is the way I started. Usually now I am doing at least two bellies and the lug is more convenient.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Camardelle So the “purpose” of the Bacon Taste Booster is to impart old world (dry rubbed) flavor with modern curing techniques (inject and tumble). And it is great for that, we used to tell people unless you were injecting and tumbling not to use it because you dont need it. Then I added it to imitation bacon and it was clearly better than when we did not use it. Then I added it to Sweet Mplae Bacon Snack Sticks and then I used Blue Ribbon Maple Bacon Cure and Booster to make “imitation” bacon (same process of imitation bacon just with this cure instead of the imitation bacon seasoning) so now I would add it to almost anything! However, I haven’t done it with Dry Rub and I really am not sure it would offer anything. Maybe worth trying though?

Also, the booster helps fight of rancidity in the freezer. When frozen bacon has a tendency to start tasting metallic (rancid) after about 6 months no matter how well you wrap it.

Like YooperDog Says, there really isn’t a difference nothing is escaping that the bag would keep in.

• Jonathon said in Did someone say BACON!!!?:
    However, I haven’t done it with Dry Rub and I really am not sure it would offer anything. Maybe worth trying though?

I will be trying it for sure, and soon. You did use it in your instructional video so I will give it a shot…likely next week. Thanks to you and to everyone.

Always interested in hearing other’s thoughts. Any additional comments are still appreciated.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Camardelle I did it in the dry rub bacon video? Its impossible to keep track of everything anymore! Sorry about that, let me know your thoughts. Maybe I need to do one with and one without. Probably need to start doing just 1 thing per video/experiments now-a-days.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size