• My wife and I made 25 pounds of brats using a #22 grinder to stuff with and. 70/30 ratio. We found shortly after starting the meat started getting a pasty appearance and emulsion. We switched to our #12 grinder with a stuffing speed but was still having some emulsion though not as severe. I then speed up the speed of stuffing by not filling the casings as full with some improvement. We were thinking about a couple causes: meat to warm when stuffing, grinder too powerful, mixed too much causing some protein extraction? Really interested in hearing some opinions, taste is best I’ve made yet but thinking I need a stuffer to perfect the process. TIA.

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

I think your problem probably lies in that the meat was two warm, and you probably over mixed and got some protein extraction. I don’t think the grinder ever having to much power will ever be an issue.

• Regular Contributors Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Power User Meat Hack Winner

Stuffing with a grinder can overwork the meat as it is mixing and churning the mix as it tries to push it into the casing, causing protein extraction and loss of fat and meat definition.
    A stuffer pushes the meat in with very little change in the mix

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Joe Christy What were you using to hold the auger up off of the throat? Were you using a plate or a star stuffing adapter? I would imagine you had a combination of too much mixing, too warm and the grinder overworking the meat as it stuffed it. Luckily in a few short days (shameless plug) our Sausage Stuffers are going on sale!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size