Venison bologna is awesome

• Team Blue Canning Green Mountain Grill

Hello all,

This past weekend, I made 2 chubs of venison bologna and sliced it for sandwiches, 4 rolls for snacking and about 60 skinless snack sticks that I pickled and canned with red pepper flakes and garlic

I used Waltons Bologna Unit seasoning and this stuff is really good. I add extra water and also add some carrot fiber to help it stay moist and it turns out the best I have done thus far.

I attached some pics of the pickled hot bologna and the lunchmeat.

IMG_0055.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0058.jpeg IMG_0057.jpeg

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning

wvhunter1965 That all looks awesome. Great job!

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

wvhunter1965 Nicely done, how long will you let the dogs pickle?

• wvhunter1965 Would you care to share your pickling recipe?

• And share your bologna process, too? Especially what kind of oven/smoker/grill you might of used. Thanks.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

wvhunter1965 you inspired me. Just got home from hunting 30+ days across a few States and we have a freezer full of meat. That is going in the lineup.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Jonathon, I will allow those to sit for at least 30 days and maybe longer if I can bring myself to wait that long. I processed these in a water bath canner so they are sealed good for storage even though the vinegar content should be high enough to keep them safe.

Snake River Smokers, I use the following:

1 1/2 Cups White Vinegar
    1 Cup Water
    1/2 Teaspoon Trinidad Scorpion Pepper Flakes
    1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
    1 Tablespoon Salt
    Mix water and vinegar. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.

Put snack sticks in the jar standing on end and add the garlic, peppers and salt. Pour boiling water over the sticks to cover. Put on lid and ring and allow too cool or process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

If not processed in boiling water bath, keep refrigerated.

As far as the bologna recipe goes, I use the Waltons Bologna unit SKU: 4550330002 (not the Hot Dog and Bologna seasoning). I used this for all of the items in this post as I really like the flavor it produces, I just add a few items to make it unique to the product (cheese, jalapeño or other spice). I also add carrot fiber and extra water as I like my bologna moist. Recipe is below:
    .7pounds Venison Ground
    3 pounds Boneless skinless Chicken thighs Ground
    26 grams Bologna Unit seasoning
    10lb Capacity Bologna Casing
    1.13 grams Sure Cure
    6.8 grams Sure Gel
    24 grams Sodium Erythorbate
    2.5 ounces Ice Water
    4 grams Carrot Fiber

MEAT MIXING
    Place lean meat in the mixer. While mixing add Bologna seasoning, Sure Cure, Sure Gel, Carrot Fiber, Sodium Erythorbate and Ice Cold Water. Mix for 10 minutes. Lastly, if you are using Encapsulated Citric Acid add it during the last 60 seconds of mixing. If you add the Encapsulated Citric Acid too soon you could break the encapsulation and release the acid into the meat too soon.

SAUSAGE STUFFING

Stuff your meat into casings that have been soaked for at least an half hour in water that is 80 - 100° so the casings are pliable. Fibrous casings are tough and durable so don’t worry about blowouts just stuff them fully but make sure to leave enough room to get a hog ring on the open end.

Can also be stuffed into cellulose casings for skinless snack sticks.
    NOTE

THERMAL PROCESSING & SMOKING

To smoke, start them out at 150 for 3 hours, then 165 for 1 hour and finally at 180 until the internal temperature reaches 165°.

COOLING

Place it in an ice bath or shower for 20 minutes to bring the temperature back down and then hold at room temperature for 2 hours and then move to a cooler or freezer before vacuum packing. I let this sit in a refrigerator overnight before slicing to make sure the temperature was brought all the way down.

THERE ARE MANY VARIATIONS TO THIS BUT THIS WORKS FOR MY GREEN MOUNTAIN GRILL OR IN MY OVEN WHICH DO NOT GO TO THE LOW HEAT SETTINGS OF A SMOKER

YooperDog, hoping all turns out well with your endeavors. I feel confident something quite tasty will happen!

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

wvhunter1965 That is a well written out process sir!

Sorry guy’s, had to make one correction. The water is 4 fl oz instead of 2.5. I changed it on the last batch and forgot to include the change above.

• Appreciate the time you took to type this out for us! Great idea on using the chicken to supply the “fat” for the lean venison.

No problem Lost River Jones. It was pretty easy and most was copy/paste from my recipe software. I like it because I can put in recipes by the pound and resize for the amount of meat I have or any other recipe I want to change the finished outcome on and it is only $20/year

• tell me more about the recipe software …

• For those fired up about making this; here is the ingredient list from Waltons (except the meat … and water, lol)

Bologna unit SKU: 4550330002
    10lb Capacity Bologna Casing SKU: G230214
    Sure Cure SKU: G4560490009
    Sure Gel SKU: G4570500852
    Sodium Erythorbate SKU: G4570700139
    Carrot Fiber SKU: carrot-fiber-binder

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning

wvhunter1965 First thank you for the well written recipe. Can you explain why you use both sure gel and carrot fiber? I thought they basically did the same thing but I’m new to all this. I am learning a lot thanks to all the people in this community like you who take the time to share their knowledge.

Lost River Jones, The one I use is called Big Oven. It should be readily available on their website and it is actually a web based software so I can view/use it on any device although I find it works best with Google Chrome. You can copy paste recipes and then you simply label as ingredient, instructions etc. If you have the paid version (which I do as I said at $20 annually) you can create custom folders etc.

They have about 500,000 online recipes that are searchable, some of which are good and some are not so much. They are all added by users to my knowledge and that leaves a lot of room for varying taste. I use it mostly for my own recipes but have found some good ones on there.

It also has some great features such as a leftover feature where you can enter up to three ingredients and it will search for a recipe that uses those ingredients.

Check it out!

caddis, I think I simply wanted to retain more moisture in the final product and was attracted to the carrot fiber as it indicates that it doesn’t change the taste of the final product. Since I wanted to add a fair amount, I decided it would be a good thing to try.

It has worked out well and I really like the finished product. I also use this recipe in hot dogs, but, I am looking for a different way to cook them as the last batch was overcooked and ended up as snack sticks (and very good ones at that). Thinking of trying a water bath for the hot dogs instead of oven or smoker. May or may not work but we will see!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size