• Team Orange

Recently I read the post about the gyro brat seasoning and I didnt want to hi jack that thread so here is mine.

I dont really wanna make brats, I want to make a small batch of gyro meat and make gyros. I’ve looked up a few recipes and it really looks like you dont have to use lamb, looks like about anything you want to use is fair game. The problem is they dont really explain the texture/protein extraction a person is looking for. I’ve bought gryos from multiple sources, it looks like a very finely ground packed loaf that was sliced.

SO…heres my plan (tell me your opinions/ideas): course grind, season, fine grind, place into loaf pan and bake. Remove from pan and slice thinly once cooled. Then reheat when its time to serve? If this meat would freeze well I could easily use this for my lunches at work?

Let me know what you think.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

deanlorensen Okay, so you are going to make a loaf from a brat seasoning, which is doable for sure but there might be some challenges. You will probably want to add a binder to help keep everything together for when you slice thin and you will probably also want to achieve protein extraction to aid in that and provide the fine texture you are looking for. The trouble is that this salt content is designed for a fresh brat, not a cured one. Now, possible that 0 problem occur and this has enough salt to extract the proper amount of proteins but it is also possible that getting them to bind will be difficult. I would recommend starting with 10% less meat than the seasoning calls for and seeing what the bind is like. If it seems to be extracting fine then you can add the extra 10% if you want.

Also, I’d try sure gel instead of any of the other binders. Let us know!

deanlorensen Okay, so you are going to make a loaf from a brat seasoning, which is doable for sure but there might be some challenges. You will probably want to add a binder to help keep everything together for when you slice thin and you will probably also want to achieve protein extraction to aid in that and provide the fine texture you are looking for. The trouble is that this salt content is designed for a fresh brat, not a cured one. Now, possible that 0 problem occur and this has enough salt to extract the proper amount of proteins but it is also possible that getting them to bind will be difficult. I would recommend starting with 10% less meat than the seasoning calls for and seeing what the bind is like. If it seems to be extracting fine then you can add the extra 10% if you want.

Also, I’d try sure gel instead of any of the other binders. Let us know!

• My wife is a gyro fanatic but wasn’t crazy about it being in a brat so here is two solutions I came up with instead of trying to make a loaf! By the way the seasonings are right on in flavor, make a brat and use peta bread as your bun, cook brat to well done, let it cool and slice it the length of the brat or bulk make the sausage and pan fry any shape you want! Mike

• Jonathon
    Can you explain to me what is “protein extraction “? TYIA
    I read your reply to the gyro guy and it didn’t make sense to me.

• Your font makes this page awfully hard to read.

• I’m so sorry I don’t know how to fix it.

• Ediecrna
    Jonathan, the best way to answer your questions on what protein extraction is, go to the Waltons Meatgistics site and go to meat grinding and mixing and there is a video and explanation on how important it is in trying to make the block or snacks sticks to get the meat to bind together! Mike

Ediecrna Protein extraction is what gives a snack stick or summer sausage its texture and its ability to maintain its fat and not let it render right out. Basically when you are making a cured sausage you want to mix it a lot more, until it gets sticky. Check out https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/320/the-importance-of-protein-extraction-in-snack-sticks?_=1607523297040

• Jonathon said in Gyro meat -texture/flavor:

Ediecrna Protein extraction is what gives a snack stick or summer sausage its texture and its ability to maintain its fat and not let it render right out. Basically when you are making a cured sausage you want to mix it a lot more, until it gets sticky. Check out https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/320/the-importance-of-protein-extraction-in-snack-sticks?_=1607523297040*

THANK YOU

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size