Smoked bratwurst questions

• Team Orange

I want to make some braturst next week but want to smoke them. I am planning on using a 50/50 mix of venison and pork butts. Obviously I know I will need to add a cure to the bratwurst seasoning. Would I use the same amount that I would in making snack sticks? Also can I use the same cooking schedule I do for the snack sticks. Lastly I ordered both natural and collagen casings (not the fresh) . Can I link the sausage in short lengths and hang in my smoker or should I just do two links and hang on my sticks so there is one link on each side. My other option is to lay them in individual links on the racks. I just don’t want the casings to break on me. So any suggestions on which casings to use and method to putting them in the smoker. Thanks

• Team Blue

JohninPa I use natural casing on my Texas hot links, Kielbasa and Bratwurst. When I smoke them, I loop them in around 18" links and tie them back end to end and hang them with no problems. These are the hot links before and after. IMG_0940.JPG IMG_0942.JPG

• Team Orange

johnsbrewhouse said in Smoked bratwurst questions:

JohninPa I use natural casing on my Texas hot links, Kielbasa and Bratwurst. When I smoke them, I loop them in around 18" links and tie them back end to end and hang them with no problems. These are the hot links before and after. IMG_0940.JPG IMG_0942.JPG

That kielbasa looks amazing and has my attention. Care to share how you make it.

• Team Blue

JohninPa That’s my Texas hot link, the kielbasa I have done a couple of ways. Used Excalibur Signature Smoked Kiebasa no msg with 70/30 turkey but un cased, the second batch was a home built recipe with more garlic and made with pork and beef, but cased. I would go with the signature and add more ground fresh garlic the next time. I add cure to all the smoked products. The hot link is really good, has cheese, not a lot of heat from the red pepper flakes. You could add Jalapeno. This is a recipe I made. This is the turkey KielbasaIMG_0299.JPG

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning

johnsbrewhouse those look great. I have got to try the kielbasa. I already have the seasoning just have to make the time. What are your thoughts on using venison and pork fat.

• Team Blue

cdavis I sure that would work as well, but you would probably might have to case it. The turkey is so sticky it stays together on the smoker pretty well. I haven’t got a deer in so long, I haven’t been able to use venison. Venison is lean, so you definitely will need the pork fat content. I would personally add a bit more garlic to the Signature mix, fresh minced or dried. I like a little more garlic flavor.

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning

johnsbrewhouse thank you sir

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size