Porch Pirates!!!

• Team Blue Traeger Canning

Just a heads up to everyone ordering from Walton’s. I had a package delivered by the Big Brown Truck this a.m. and 10 minutes later my neighbor saw a young lady steal it off of my front porch. The package contained a leather Walton’s apron that I hope she can use ( I say sarcastically).
    So to all of you out there that order from Walton’s, keep your peepers open and make sure you follow your shipments and get your notifications.

• Sous Vide Canning PK100 Team Blue Power User

What the hell?

• Team Blue Canning

Happened to us last year Bob. That’s why all the cameras went up. If I catch them the gun come out. I tend to be a redneck about that [censored].

I just received my waltons package just now - Luckily I saw the truck coming. Sorry Bob.

Time to check out the new patty maker. I have some jalapeño patty mix waiting.

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User Cast Iron

Bob Stehlik Time to shot and turn them into sausage! LOL

• Team Orange Walton's Employee Admin

I would recommend signing up for UPS My Choice.
    https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/tracking/mychoice.page

For free, you get some good notifications on any shipments coming to your address. If you have a big problem with package theft, you can do more with the UPS service if you pay an extra fee, and then you have more controls on your shipments to control a few things. Including changing address, choosing specific days for delivery, change to a UPS Access Point for delivery (a much safer option than something left on your front porch), and all SurePost shipments (where USPS is the final delivery) get upgraded to Ground for free.

I know, sounds like an infomercial for UPS… I don’t pay for the “premium” version, but I definitely see the use case for certain people. I did sign up for the free version to easier track everything shipping to my house though.

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning Kamado Joes Regular Contributors

Austin good information. Thanks

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

Austin I use the free version as well, its nice to know that something has been delivered or you have a package coming.

I’ve been signed for My UPS, UPS notifications and My Choice UPS for several years. I received the delivery text 22 minutes after the actual delivery. I chatted w/UPS and didn’t get anywhere with them.

• Team Orange

I had an issue yesterday where I was notified they delivered at my front door at 2:57pm… I looked 5 mins later and there was nothing. I sent an email and they said they delivered. Funny thing is I never heard the truck come. About an hour later at 4:14pm I heard a truck. It was a few houses away. There were two people which I have never seen before. They were picking up packaged from houses down the street from me and putting them back in the truck. When they got to me they had a guilty look on their face and sure enough they had my package. The person said they had a new driver and he did not know the route. OMG so they don’t know how to read address?

• Team Blue

Austin said in Porch Pirates!!!:

I would recommend signing up for UPS My Choice.
    https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/tracking/mychoice.page

For free, you get some good notifications on any shipments coming to your address. If you have a big problem with package theft, you can do more with the UPS service if you pay an extra fee, and then you have more controls on your shipments to control a few things. Including changing address, choosing specific days for delivery, change to a UPS Access Point for delivery (a much safer option than something left on your front porch), and all SurePost shipments (where USPS is the final delivery) get upgraded to Ground for free.

I know, sounds like an infomercial for UPS… I don’t pay for the “premium” version, but I definitely see the use case for certain people. I did sign up for the free version to easier track everything shipping to my house though.

I have both UPS and FedEx trackers active. Both update so slowly for me they are worthless. My relatives all INSISTED on sending gift cards and cash to me in the mail at my house mailbox. I did not get one single one! I also had a custom knife that cannot be replaced stuffed in my mailbox that would not close stolen. That one made a grinder look cheap in comparison. The mail carrier couldn’t even close the mailbox door so it was just sticking out of the mailbox for the first person to drive by. USPS would not cover insurance because they showed a GPS tracker delivery at the correct address.

Waltons really should allow PO Box deliveries or do signature confirmation.

• Team Orange Walton's Employee Admin

sidpost We only do PO Box delivery for very small orders (usually under 1 lb), and sometimes a priority mail option. We don’t have a way currently to show you if that is how it will ship on our website, but that may change when our new site rolls out in January.

Signature confirmation is only added on orders over $700 or so that are paid via paypal. It costs extra to put signature confirmation on there, so we don’t on most orders. I could probably explore adding an option in checkout to add signature confirmation for an extra couple dollars.

• Team Blue

Austin

I checked out with a 22# grinder and 11# stuffer with my PO Box.

However, Elizabeth contacted me to update everything. I’m not sure what a Porch Pirate would do with those but, that won’t stop them from stealing them.

With package theft being so high, my choices are to drive ~65 miles round trip to get it at a hub or wait by my mailbox between noon and 9PM or not ordering it at this point if it won’t ship to my PO Box.

So yes, a couple of bucks so they don’t just chuck it out the truck door is money well spent IMHO. I had a case of ammo with ORM-D requirements and signature confirmation left at the road by the mailbox which FedEx was not happy about paying for. The also threw my iPad and a new iPhone over the barb wire fence into the pasture ditch full of water even though the gate was wide open so, I’ll give them credit for not leaving it on the road by the mailbox but, really, in a water-filled ditch in a pasture?

I get you don’t get Amazon rates to ship via USPS for bulky items like 50lb sacks of dog food, 65qt ice chests, etc. but, there really needs to be some options other than a blind drop at the roadside.

To further complicate things, people follow the US Mail, UPS and, FedEx trucks to steal things right behind them out here.

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

sidpost where do you live?

• Team Blue

Tex_77 said in Porch Pirates!!!:

sidpost where do you live?

Rural East Texas between Dallas and Shreveport/Texarkana. The migration from Dallas and Houston out here has been significant and law enforcement has been stretched pretty thin with population growth outpacing law enforcement staffing. With that, financial criminals have followed to take advantage of the elderly and with that came drug use and property crime.

• Team Blue Canning

sidpost Have you considered a package lock box by the drive. I built and anchored one down when I worked for a major wireless company. Drivers put things in there and saw a note that read, “please lock” when they opened it. Never had a problem after that.

• Team Blue

Can’t do that on the public easement, only the pole for the mailbox. Out here drivers for FedEx and UPS are supposed to leave packages at the house which for me is ~1200 feet from the road. USPS is supposed to do the same if the mailbox door won’t close.

With schedule pressure, all of them except for my normal mail carrier ‘contractor’ dump them on the street for the most part with a few FedEx and UPS drivers actually dropping them at the house. FedEx and UPS ‘normal’ drivers are pretty good but, the luck of the draw random “substitute” drivers right now isn’t good.

I delivered USPS Amazon packages for a while but, average delivery times meant I needed to speed everywhere and heave package out the door or window of the truck if I was going to come close to their delivery route time expectations. The vehicle I was in would float the rear end above 55MPH on the highway and had a 4-cylinder engine so that wasn’t an easy speed to reach. Being passed at 70MPH would blow the vehicle around in the lane. My route expected at an average speed of 47MPH including stops for package scans and drops on the route. Training and management harped on drive safely and be safe but, in practice, all they cared about was getting me off the clock 5 minutes sooner. My life wasn’t fulfilled risking it to deliver sacks of dog food and boxes of diapers to run-down trailer houses in rural areas of the county though, I did look forward to the nicer retirees looking forward to a new book or some new kitchen gadget.

UPS poured salt in the wound today as well. I was expecting my shipment of vac bags and Excalibur shakers today, Thursday. When I spoke to them yesterday they said they delivered 2 packages. So I assume my bags & shakers were hijacked as well! However they only emailed a POD for 1 package.
    UPS is CENSORED!

• Team Blue Canning

Bob Stehlik said in Porch Pirates!!!:

UPS is CENSORED

Yes they are. Put it to them Bob!

Bob Stehlik
    Sorry Man!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size