Venison Summer Sausage Issue - Rubbery Texture

• Team Orange

Hi everyone, first time posting here and could use some expertise to help me with an issue I had with my latest batch of summer sausage.

I recently made 20 lbs of venison cheddar summer sausage. The sausage came out with a rubbery texture, kind of tougher too than what I’ve made in the past. I normally follow the recipe on this site pretty closely, but made a couple of changes from the traditional recipe I use:

1. I used pork butt and ground it myself instead of pre-ground pork from the store (50% pork, 50% venison).
    2. I added sure gel binder and mixed a little longer than usual (didn’t feel as sticky as usual, so I mixed a little more just in case, maybe 15-20 minutes by hand).

After mixing, I noticed in little letters on the pork butt packaging that it contained “11% Slzn”? I think that means they were injected with a brine. Didn’t want to waste it, so I smoked them anyway (I’ll definitely read the packaging closer next time!).

Could using the brined pork have caused the rubbery texture in my sausage? It tastes ok, just has an odd mouth feel, if that makes sense. I read that overmixing could cause this as well. Just wanted to get an opinion from the experts here. Thanks!

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

bscn8c
    Interesting. Have never ran across a butt that has been brined. Hmm.

• Regular Contributors Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Power User Meat Hack Winner

Around 90% of packaged grocery pork has an added saline solution, usually at 10% plus
    The only time I experienced rubbery texture was when I made a cooking error and hat a “fat out”

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size