Adding fat to sausage....

• While I have found that I have not had to add additional fat to the butts I have been processing into sausage, I have found that trying to obtain pork fat locally will cost about $3.50/lb. +

We have a local butcher that will give you copious quantities of beef fat for free!

While this is great for making hamburger, I was wondering if it provides the same flavor for pork sausage, and is there any reason not to use beef fat in pork sausage?

• Admin

@raider2119
    It would definitely be acceptable to use beef fat in place of pork fat, if that is your preference for either price, availability, or taste reasons. Beef fat will be different than pork though. It is partially a subjective topic though. In my opinion, pork fat will get you a better final product as it helps carry flavor better than beef fat, or other meats/fats. Using pork fat over beef fat is ultimately just an opinion though and using beef fat is not a wrong thing to do. There could even be many people who like the beef fat flavor better.

If it is easier for you to get and use beef fat, it wouldn’t hurt to try it out with a small batch and see what you think. Whether pork fat or beef fat is the best option for you will really just come down to your personal preference.

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.