• Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand case hardening and the smoking process?

I’m making snack sticks in the UK using devro casings from Waltons and i’m struggling with the casings being very tough to bite when they come out of the smoker. I’ve tried low humidity, high humidity, low temps, high temps, short cycles, long cycles, but it never changes.

To fix it i let them bloom on a work surface then put them in the fridge for a few hours and the casings seem to soften up, then they’re fine.

Question: Does everyone suffer this problem and if so do you solve it the same way? Does anyone have any success just taking them out of the smoker and letting them bloom at room temperature, without the need to put them in the chiller?

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

Do you put them in a ice water bath to chill them? Have you tried finishing them in a hot water bath/sous vide then ice bath then bloom?

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

pthomas1992 also check out the Walton’s web site they have some excellent tutorials with regards to smoking meats and explanation of case hardening. What is basically happening is the outside gets cooked and dried out and the inside can’t get the moisture out.

• YooperDog i’ve water bathed a few batches and find it has the same effect as putting them in the chiller, if anything perhaps making them a little soggy. Never tried a sous vide as the smoker seems to be capable of managing the temperature pretty easily. Correct me if i’m wrong but people generally seem to use the sous vide if their smoker can’t quite get up to the final temperature?

I guess what i really want to know is how the commercial producers do it? Are they putting massive batches of sticks in a water bath or a sous vide?!

Cheers

pthomas1992 not sure what the big commercial processor’s do. The butchers I know have some pretty technical smokers that cook, smoke, steam and cold water finish. Typically what folks are doing is cooking and smoking their snack sticks and such to within 10° of finished product and then finishing in a hot water bath/sous vide to final temp. Then chilling quickly in an ice water bath to stop the cooking and then allowing the sausage to bloom. This all helps with casings and finished meat product.

• Team Blue Regular Contributors Green Mountain Grill Masterbuilt

pthomas1992 You have to use ice water not just cold tap water. What I do is fill my sink with ice and then fill it up with cold water. When I pull snack sticks, summer sausage, or any other smoked sausage I then put it in the ice bath for about 15-20 minutes. Then put on cookie sheets on the counter or table for an hour or two then into the fridge overnight then package in vac bags and freeze. I use the smoke/cook schedule that Walton’s recommends and as long as I follow the directions they have come out great.

• AdamCA yeah i used ice water! It sounds like we all have to use ice water and/or pet them in the refrigerator for some time to get the casings to soften. I just wanted to make sure this was the only way of doing it, ie that there wasn’t a way of just bringing them out of the smoker and letting them sit at room temperature for a while. Thanks for the help!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size