• Team Orange

This holiday season we took a chance and decided to cure and smoke a pork leg. Up to this point snack sticks have been the most complex items I have done. Never have I cured or smoked anything this big - risky Christmas morning endeavor. The pork was raised, processed and smoked on the property. I have learned so much from this community that I thought I would pass what I have done on. Nothing ground breaking, just a simplified version of Walton’s Smoked Ham recipe anyone should be able to pull off.

The result was a knock-your-socks-off, melt in your mouth, incredibly clean and fresh tasking Christmas Ham. All kids, grandkids, siblings, in-laws, and the misses agreed - best ham they have ever had. This recipe is etched in granite and we do not plan to change any aspect with respect to this method/ingredients.

Following Walton’s Ham cure video tutorial/recipe - I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the units of measurements for the cure. I wanted to make sure the food was delicious and SAFE to eat but was second-guessing concertation levels for ‘lbs’ of water vs ham size, etc. To simplify things, I made a spreadsheet to be able to apply to any weight of ham - scaling the 25lb bone-in example. The tutorial Walton put out is a great place to start and a required watch for the spreadsheet to make sense.

Note - my ham was boneless at 16 pounds. If doing a bone-in ham at 16 pounds, the flavor profile will be be a bit stronger.

Enter your Ham weight (lbs & oz) and the desired pump (20%) in the orange boxes. The green boxes output the amounts of water/ingredients for the injection specific to your ham weight. I used grams (g) for the dry ingredients.

Also, my smoker is very difficult to keep under 170 degrees. So my cooking schedule was a bit different than the one mention in the tutorial.

Here is the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YZ-Fp-lw1tqjd2fBJ7zRMCgVLF1P6xbYwdlOxbpLn5A/edit?usp=sharing

Here are some pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1p1nymIIeSLypNCNt5BllI6Eh4aJZWygn?usp=sharing

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

@Aaron-B
    Well done. Nice spreadsheet as well. Try the pics again. May have to reduce the size. Website is moving at a snails pace right now on my end.

• Team Blue

Looks delicious and nice job on the spreadsheet. As for the pics choose small when uploading the pics amd you shouldn’t have an issue.

• Team Orange

PapaSop
    Thank you! I tried just about everything to get the picture to load… wasn’t happening.

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning Kamado Joes Regular Contributors

@Aaron-B man that looks great and thanks for the spread sheet.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size