Any WSM owners able to hold 125 degrees?

• Team Orange

Are there any WSM owners out there able to hold 125 and step up temps every hour? If so please share your knowledge. I have both the 18" and 22". Also what hangers do you use?

• Team Blue

You are talking about COLD SMOKING at 125F. If you want graduated temperature steps, a pellet smoker is probably the better way to go.

A single WSM is a bit short to ‘hang’ stuff if you ask me. I’ve got a fabbed up double but, to be honest if I was going smoke something slowly and with lower temperatures, I’d use my reverse flow stick burner.

With a 14", 18", 22", and a double 22" I’m a big fan but, hanging sausage or ribs or cold smoking are not their strength. YMMV.

The BBQ-Brethern and WSM (virtual bullet?) forums are good places to find advice on something specific like this.

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

I bet you could hold something around 125F in a WSM by building a smaller fire, but the trick will be stepping it up every hour for a long time. Obviously, you just add more coals, but it’s probably a matter of trial and error as to how many. Unless The Force is much stronger in your family than it is in mine, you’ll probably want something like a Billows or Guru.

The other trick is what sidpost mentioned, the hanging. There’s not much room there. I’ve seen extenders for sale, but they are mighty expensive.

• Team Orange

That’s what I thought. I love my WSM, just not the right tool for this job. I see another smoker in my future. Will have to start laying the ground work with the wife.

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

I just saw a post by Dan Ferdinande about using his WSM and a sausage hanger for snack sticks. Maybe he has some insight.

• TexLaw
    keend0
    Sorry for the delayed response…
    I have a weber sausage/fish hanger in my wsm 22 and 18.
    I use the snake method with Kingsford and no wood (the briquettes provide adequate smoke flavor/color) the snake gets wider and I shuffle the coals as needed.
    I shoot for 110-130 for 1 hour to dry
    140-160 1 hour and 180-200 to finish.
    I cut my casings 33" (fresh or collagen)
    And tie the ends so I can flip the rings and prevent over cooking the top half of the sausage.
    IMG_20200407_215505_999.jpg

• Team Orange

Thanks, I will try it without food and see how it goes. Perhaps a 2 wide snake then increase to 2 wide & 1 on top then 2 stacked over 2 and see what happens. I also have a neighbor that has a 22. I may borrow his mid section and try double stacking. Might need a ladder. :’)

Like the tying and rotating idea.

Thanks!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size