Using Hamburger

• If I use 80/20 hamburger 10 lbs to make summer sausage or snack sticks,can I add 1 pound pork fat to get the 30 percent fat and will this taste ok?
    Also should I grind through small plate?
    Or leave as is?

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Regular Contributors Sous Vide Canning Power User

Labradorbob you can use the pork fat since it a pretty neutral flavor. I would grind the fat and mix it in the beef. If the beef is already ground I wouldn’t grind it again, it has probably been ground twice. I would make sure of getting a good mix when adding the fat. Normally I add the fat and protein during the initial grind to help with the mix unless I want to see a fat particle definition in the finished product.

• Traeger

The math teacher (a past life a long, long time ago), says watch the percentages. 10 lbs of 80/20 + 1 lb of fat = 27% fat or 9 lbs of 80/20 + 1 lb of fat = 28% fat. Either way a bit short of your 30% goal. Either way more fat is needed, personally I freeze the fat, then grind with my larger plate, and mix with ground beef & seasoning. I like the bigger pieces of piggy goodness.

• This post is deleted!

• alanburkholder
    L
    lsaule 6 minutes ago

Hi Alanburkholder. can you explain the proper way of calculating percentages you are referring to? I use pork loin to make sausages estimating 16% fat content. I add % fat based on what the pork loin weight is as opposed to calculating the amount of meat and fat in the pork loin, meaning that I simply add 14% of the 5,000 g to the recipe.

I guess maybe I should change that to: if I use 5,000 g pork loin, that would really mean 4,200 lean meat and 800 g fat. To arrive at 30% fat content, I would have to add 14% of the lean meat amount (4,200 g) for 588 g of fat. This would translate to 5,000 g pork loin, 588 g pork fat to equal the 30% fat percentage of pork shoulder. Does that make sense or am I confusing? Am I on the right track?

• Traeger

You need to look at the total meat to determine the percentage of fat. So in your example of 5kg (84/16)loin, you would need to add 1k of fat to bring the total meat to 6k and 30% is fat.

Hope this helps - remember the high school days saying “when would I ever use these ratios in real life?”

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size