First time snack sticks and thermo processing

• Jonathon, please post what you find out from the manufacture. I had previously submitted a request for help from the group for a similar occurrence with my PK-100 and my first and only so far attempt to make snack sticks. I got some suggestions to try the next time but overall I came away with the conclusion that it can’t keep up with Iowa winters at either temp setting.

• Thank you for your continued support. I called them last week and left a message. They never called me back. I had to finish my snack sticks in my Traeger. I didn’t purchase a PK 100 to use my pellet grill.
    Thank you

• Give Bill Rink a call, he is a service representative for PK. Cell # 920-370-1684 or 563-359-7967.

• Team Blue Masterbuilt Canning Sous Vide Power User

This post is deleted!

• I contacted Bill. He said the PK100 will Not work well in cold weather. He did give me some ideas. I will push my smoker outside my garage and complete the smoking process in cold weather. I will then put my smoker inside my garage and complete the cooking process
    More to come.

• So the pk100 will not work well in cold weather per the manufacturer? I have been wanting to purchace this smoker for a while and i use my smokers year round in Pennsylvania. I have a smokeshack and never had any problems with it. It is too small and only gets down to 140. I liked that the pk100 could cold smoke for cheese and bacon and hoping a better smoke flavor than using smoke tubes

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

DieselAddiction you will not have an issue with cold temps, yes it may take longer to finish compared to doing it in the summer but they are very well insulated. I am having a hard time believing it will persay “cold smoke”. I’m thinking it will still get too warm using the factory burner and may still have to use a smoke tube

• Sous Vide Canning PK100 Team Blue Power User

taufrecht This is news to me. I have used mine in the snow at 5 degrees here in Colorado and it worked. Very strange.

• lkrfletcher I thought it seemed strange coming from the manufacturer also. I can see them saying that it need to work harder to keep temp but to say it doesn’t work good when it is supposed to be so well insulated. I also understand there are vents on top and bottom that would cause some heat loss but kind of disappointing to hear

• When the machine failed to get to temperature, it was -6 degrees. It was outside in Bozeman Montana. The altitude here is 4800. I had ice from the machine to the concrete it was sitting on. I rent, and not able to put a hole through my garage for venting purposes.
    The machine setting was on high for 36 hours, never reaching temperature. The machine was 2 weeks old at the time of this event.
    I hope this helps.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.