Kielbasa too salty to eat

• Team Blue Regular Contributors Green Mountain Grill Masterbuilt

JoeB That’s one way to look at it, or you can look at the ease of use for most of us home processors who got into this later in life. My grandfather made his own sausage but has long since been gone and no one else in the family does it so when I decided a few years ago to start making my own I really didn’t have an idea of where to start. The prepackaged seasonings I buy from Walton’s is perfect for me and as I’ve gotten more experienced I can make adjustments based on my own taste. I can add more spices or change the ratio of seasoning to meat to make subtle changes to the flavor of the end product. There are some seasonings that I make just as they are intended to be made and then there are others that I use the seasoning package as a base/starting point and make it my own.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

JoeB So, the reason we suggest that people use pre-packaged seasonings are what AdamCA says above but also because it removes the single biggest issue in troubleshooting someones sausage problems. It doesn’t happen often but when someone comes here looking for help on a sausage problem and they used a “home-made” recipe that is simply what I will point to (unless there is some glaring obvious thing like didnt add any water) as the likely culrpit because it almost always is. Very often the problem is the salt content, either way too little or too much. Salt plays functional roles in meat processing beyond flavor. Excalibur has been doing this for decades and those are the exact same seasonings and spices that professional meat processors purchase from us. Yes, some of them, and some home people do make homemade recipes and they very well might be delicious but in general it is better and easier to use prepackaged seasonings from Excalibur.

• Team Blue

Jonathon No contest… Everyone has their own approach, and favorite tools. If prepacks work for you than so be it. There are a lot of variables in the art of making sausage, and processing meats, as you know. I guess I was blessed with having a Father that taught me the basics over 65 years ago, and I lived within walking distance of Rytek Kutas when he finally settled down in Buffalo NY opening the first SausageMaker storefront. There is no doubt that salt is the big guy in sausage making, and again I agree. Usually has to do with inaccurate measurement or weight and table salt instead of coarse sea salt. That all being said, it is interesting to note that great sausage isn’t great sausage if it doesn’t taste the way you remember your past experiences with a particular sausage. I could go on but I’m just blathering. Spent 8+ years in Europe, each town (Dorf), and region had their own taste and recipe for beer and Brats. Now I’ll sit back, as I should, and enjoy this wonderful, enlightening, and informative site. I appreciate your tolerance, and do think this is a great site. Thanks Jonathon. 😎🙂
    PS: I an not responsible for my computer’s grammar or spelling errors

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User

JoeB I think you summed it up well. I have many recipes that I’ve used for years, and I use many pre packaged because I love their flavors ( not that I don’t still try to break their recipe). I’m not afraid to use the chemistry of sodium nitrate and nitrite as well as other potassium salts. Some of my recipes come from the early part of the 1900’s and other from recent sources. I don’t use a premix if I have to alter them. I wish that the prepackaged were salt free and suggested an addition of salt quantity. I do like to control that. I do recognize that people have to use what they are comfortable with and that have the proper equipment to measure properly. You are so correct in stating that salt measurement can easily be a factor of the particle size. I always stick to the same type and brand to reduce variability.

• Team Blue

Chef , I appreciate your comments, and clarity. Breaking down a recipe isn’t that hard . This site: https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making and his book: Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages Paperback – Illustrated, March 21, 2012 is a great read. It does break down the norms and tolerances for spices and seasonings (2-3pgs of listings). The site is international and covers just about everything meat, and alcohol 😊 Lots, and Lots of whys, not so much how to’s. The spirit of the author is to teach you how to make sausage not read recipes, but the wisdom to spot a good or bad recipe, and why to use metric, not imperial. Rytek Kutas’ auto-bio is a great read as he walks you thru the failures and successes of a sausage maker and how he acquired his recipes throughout his life. Culminating in his efforts for the Sausagemaker business. Sad ending. When I visit the East coast I make 50lbs of brats for their taste, For what they think brats taste like. When i travel to the Left Coast i retool my polish sausage for what they think is a traditional Kielbasa taste… When it comes to Bulgogi, I take into consideration what region of South East Asia they’re from. It is what it is… Cheers 😎
    PS: I an not responsible for my computer’s grammar or spelling errors😉

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size