Eggplant! Will it BBQ?

• Walton's Employee

Will it BBQ? Eggplant!

In this segment we pose the question and the answer to Will it BBQ? So much more than just hamburgers, hot dogs, and other meats can be BBQ'd, Grilled, or Smoked. And, this is where we try out unique ideas for cooking on a grill or smoker. This week we are BBQ'ing Eggplant and letting you know if it will BBQ or not!!

Prep Time

5 Minutes

Cook Time

10 Minutes

Ingredients

Eggplant
    Authentic Greek Seasoning

Instructions

Slice your eggplant into rings and season both sides with Authentic Greek Seasoning or any other seasoning that you want to try. Heat your grill up to around 400° and grill for 5 minutes a side or to desired level of doneness.

So, Will it BBQ?

We aren’t the biggest vegetable fans here, we like them but almost all of us will reach for some sort of meat first. Even with that, this was very good! We liked that the Eggplant had a decent texture and took on the seasoning well. This is a good way to get your veggies in for anyone who doesn’t normally eat enough of them! So, YES this will BBQ!

Shop Walton’s for Authentic Greek Seasoning

Broil King Grills

Broil King Regal S420

Grill Grates

Grill Grates

Active Users

Recent Posts

• F

I have the a Himalayan Salt Slab, but really didn’t know how to prep before cooking or clean it, so I have only used it once.
    Thanks for the education on how to use my salt block, great video.

read more
  • D

@jonathon
    I picked up brisket at the Kroger Chain grocery already for $1.99 a lb. on sale. Walmart has some very nice full brisket with the round for $3.94 a lb. I have checked several butcher shops and they normally stock packer 6 full briskets with the round on it to a box @ $4.99 to $5.99 per pound or most butcher shops would sell you a individual brisket. You did not have to buy a whole case.

read more
  • P

It’s a vinegar, oil, and spice marinade, very popular in upstate NY. Usually chicken cubed in 1"ish pieces and marinaded for a few days, grilled on kabob skewers, and served on a sausage roll. We do halves of game birds, marinade in 2gallon zip locks then indirect grill. Keep some of the marinade to baste with since wild birds are very lean.
    https://www.amazon.com/Salamidas-Original-Spiedie-Sauce-Marinade/dp/B000RY8Z88/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1531511577&sr=1-4-fkmr1&keywords=county+fair+chicken+spiedie

read more
  • Meat Hacks: Cooking on a Himalayan Salt Slab

Learn about cooking steak on a Himalayan Salt Slab with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Meat Hacks

Cooking on a Himalayan Salt Slab

Salt is a key ingredient in almost any meat recipe. It improves the general flavor of almost any meat and has many other benefits as well. What happens when instead of putting salt on your steak you put steak on your salt? Himalayan Salt Blocks Like this one from Cameron’s have been increasing in popularity as a cooking and grilling surface. The Camerons Himalayan Salt slab is 8" x 8" and is 1.5 inches thick.

It appears to offer a few advantages over traditional methods like cooking on grill grates or cast iron. Since it is a solid slab of natural Himalayan salt it will season your meat as you cook it, so you don’t need to add any rubs or seasonings to your steak, if you don’t want to. This can help cut down on your sodium intake as even though you are cooking on a salt slab and will get some salt into your food the transfer will be less than a fully seasoned steak. Himalayan Salt also has a stronger flavor than regular salt so you don’t need as much to get the same flavor. Aside from the flavor Himalayan salt also contains micro nutrients that are not present in regular table salt.

These Salt Slabs are very good at heat retention, once you get them up to heat they will maintain a nice even heat and are suitable for cooking at extreme temperatures. These Himalayan Salt Slabs have a melting point of over 1,400 degrees so they can be used for almost any application. The surface is not very porous and the salt helps dry out and kill bacteria so it is a very hygenic cooking surface.

To get this ready to cook on we need to heat it in stages. Camerons recommends to preheat this slowly, so we will do 15 minutes on low, 15 on medium and 15 on high. This will work well because I like to give my steaks 45 minutes to come to room temperature before cooking them.

We are cooking a ribeye today, so we want to get this salt block up to around 500°, we are going to check that with the Laser Infrared Thermometer but if you want to know when you Slab is properly pre heated you can sprinkle some water on it and it should immediately sizzle. I am going to cook the steak for 3-4 minutes a side, as I want to get this steak to around 130°. When using a Himalayan Salt Slab it is recommended that you use a metal spatula or tongs, no plastic.

You could also cook vegetables or seafood directly on this but steak was the first thing I wanted to try.

So we have a Medium Rare Ribeye with a beautiful crust on it, that is partly because the salt from the block helped draw out the moisture from the outside of the meat and it crisped up beautifully.

To clean this you will need to let it cool first, so turn off your grill and leave it in there for about an hour or until it is cool to the touch. Then wipe it down with a moist towel or sponge until all the food particles are gone. Do not use soap on this or place it directly under running water or soak it.

All in all the Camerons Himalayan Salt Grilling Slab is a great tool to use in your kitchen or grill for when you want to try something different or impress your dinner guests. It cooked a very tasty steak and was a lot easier to use than I initially thought it would be. As a bonus it can be used as a serving dish and it looks great when left out on a counter or on a shelf.

Subscribe to WaltonsTV

Make sure you subscribe to WaltonsTV and remember to tap the bell next to the subscribed button to get notified about all new videos, plus like and comment on this video, and visit waltonsinc.com and meatgistics.com to find Everything But The Meat!

Subscribe to Meatgistics

Easily subscribe to any category or topic on the Meatgistics community site by clicking the green “Subscribe” button to get an email each time a new post is made!

Shop waltonsinc.com for Himalayan Salt Slab Shop waltonsinc.com for Himalayan Salt Slab Holder and Brush Subscribe to WaltonsTV on YouTube Broil King Signet 320 Signet 320 Broil King Baron 420 Baron 420

read more
  • F

I often thought about both, grinding and making my own burgers from brisket and sou vide, now for sure I going for it and with the brisket burgers I will add the bone morrow, man that has to be so good!

read more
  • D

Hi I’m looking for a meat department manager with experience at a chain retail supermarket near NYC area. I work for my family’s butcher shop with multiple locations. I’m looking to change up our operations and potentially even pay consulting fees too.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.