Bologna what would you do??

• Team Orange Sous Vide Regular Contributors

Im thinking about doing a 10lb chub of bologna this weekend. My bologna seasonings and casings will be here today from Waltons. Prolly going to do 50/50 venison pork butt since my butcher is out of pork fat at the moment. I really want this to have the texture and mouth feel of store bought bologna.

Question on thermal processing: The last batch of bambi dogs came out with a rubbery exterior and awesome interior. These were smoked to 130f and finished in sous vide. I have hickory powder so was thinking of skipping the smoker all together and cooking sous vide only stepping up the water temp the same as if in a smoker. Should I smoke at least for an hour or two to “set” the meat then sous vide? I definitely don’t want rubbery like the dogs turned out. Thoughts? Bubba

Question on meat block: meat block will be 50/50 venison to pork butt or maybe boneless skinless chicken thighs. I have packages of 100% venison and also packages of 80/20 venison pork fat. Which should I use with the added pork butt or chicken. I do want either pork butt or chicken thighs for 50% of the mix to extend my limited venison supply.

100% venison and pork butt = 25% fat content
    80/20 venison and pork butt = 45% fat content
    Chicken fat unknown…
    The idea of chicken really intrigues me.
    Thoughts? Thx Bubba

• Recently did lebanon baloney, 1/2 elk 1/2 pork shoulder. Went sous vide from start to finish since the giant Chubs wouldn’t fit in the smoker. Didn’t want a smoke taste anyway. Worked well. I plan to try regular bologna one day.

• Regular Contributors

I had a question about your ingredient list where you show 80/20 venison and pork butt as coming in at 45% fat content? That just seems like a high fat percentage for that combination of ingredients unless you add some extra fat.

processhead my deer butcher adds 20% pork fat at time of butcher. I figure deer at 5% naturally. Just a guess on that one. Pork butt is 80/20.
    Maybe my math is wrong. Never been my strong suit…

peterb said in Bologna what would you do??:

Recently did lebanon baloney, 1/2 elk 1/2 pork shoulder. Went sous vide from start to finish since the giant Chubs wouldn’t fit in the smoker. Didn’t want a smoke taste anyway. Worked well. I plan to try regular bologna one day.

May I ask your process. Temp schedule/ time. Thx

Yep can’t add percentages. My kid just told me it is 22.5% fat content not 45% forgot to divide b 2. I’m a sausage making idiot!! Ha ha

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size