Kentucky Bourbon Spirited Sauce

• Walton's Employee

Excalibur's Spicy Red Vodka Sauce

Excalibur’s new Spirit Based line of seasonings and sauces all sound like they are going to be great additions to an already strong line of seasonings. The Kentucky Bourbon Sauce could be an interesting one as Bourbon flavoring goes well with many different types of meats and I have been fascinated by cooking with alcohol ever since my uncle taught me about the chemistry behind it when I was a teenager. Alcohol allows the water and fat molecules to bind together which allows you to experience scents more strongly as a taste. Most of what you are “tasting” when you are chewing on a delicious piece of prime rib or anything else really has more to do with scent than taste.

I vacuum packed my chicken with 1.5 ounces of the sauce and am letting it sit for about 30 minutes before putting it on the grill. Vacuum packing meat with a marinade in the vac bag will help the marinade penetrate quicker as the vacuum is pulling the fibers of the muscle apart.

I cooked the chicken at 325° until it reached an internal temperature of 165° which took about 25 minutes. Cooking it at a slightly lower temperature prevents the chicken from drying out and lets it retain more of its juice.

The first thing I noticed when I pulled it off of the grill was that it had a beautiful color to it, dark caramel and brown all over that looks like it formed a slight crust around portions of the breast. The taste is complex, there is a hint of bourbon at the back of the mouth and that sweetness from the brown sugar is unmistakable. All around this is a delicious piece of chicken, if you are fan of Excalibur’s other Kentucky Bourbon sauces or a fan of Bourbon at all then I think you will be very happy with this sauce. If I was doing this again I would baste more of the sauce on as it was grilling, I did not have a Sop Mop handy and with how delicious of a coating this made I wish I had more of it!

That is two of the Spirited Sauces I have made for my lunch in the last few days and I will be trying the Mango Moonshine next and then finish the sauces up with the Maple Whiskey. I can tell you right now I am not looking forward to the Maple Whiskey as I am not a Whiskey man, in fact some would argue I’m not much of a man at all!

Mango Moonshine Spirited Sauce

Mango Moonshine Sauce

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.