• Team Blue Sous Vide PK Grills Green Mountain Grill Regular Contributors

Looking for tips on using my GMG for smoked sausage. These have a minimal setting of 150, which I figure is probably low enough to be ok, though not ideal.

What are people doing with pellet grills for their smoked sausages? I also considered seeing if I could make the Louisiana grills cold smoke box work on my Jim Bowie, as it attaches where the smoke stack attaches. I would think I could figure out a way to get them connected pretty easy as well.

Interested in everyone’s thoughts, and how I can begin making some snack sticks, summer sausage, etc!

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

Jonathon should have some content out soon on using pellet grills for smoking sausage. He will be using a Camp Chef pellet grill, but I would say what will work for one pellet grill should generally work for all pellet grills.

• 23047D15-F679-4968-BDBB-B818877F4126.jpeg

I have done them on my Traeger. The lowest setting on it is “smoke” and it will run about 165 degrees. The next lowest is 180 and then 200. I started on the smoke setting with a small 4x4 propping the lid open. That dropped it down to 130 degrees. Then swapped out the 4x4 with a 2x4. That gave me 150 degrees. Then closed the lid and dialed to 180 till done. I also stole a rack out of my Masterbuilt and used a carriage bolt in each corner to give me racks. Swap the sticks from the bottom and top racks every hour or so or the bottom will cook faster.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Midwest_kc Yeah, the camp chef starts at 160° and the day I did snack sticks on it the outside temp was 15° or something so I didn’t want to play around with propping the lid. Camp Chef has a built in upper rack so I placed them on there and we just ran it at 160 for around 2 hours and then upped it to 180 until the IT was 160, ice bathed it and let it sit out for an hour or so.

I was surprised at how well the sticks did, not any bursting and what I would call small amounts of case hardening. They had a pretty good snap both right away and after they sat out. However, after bringing them out the next day for vacuum sealing I noticed that the casings didn’t have the best “feel” to them. This had happened once before when I laid out sticks for an hour in front of a fan and then put them in the cooler overnight. I think what is happening is that the casing is overdry and then it picks up too much moisture from the fridge. I can’t prove that but it seems to be the only thing these two batches could have had in common.

This would have been released by now but we had a malfunction with a memory card so we are going to reshoot it.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Correction, it was -5° not 15°. We finally broke our cold snap here and I swear people are walking around in t-shirts in 30 weather because it feels so much nicer!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.