Summer sausage is there a stall?

• I keep my summer sausage batches small 10-15 lbs. due to sinker capacity. I use the 2 1/2” casing and limit them to just about 2.5-2.75 lb. each. I pretty much use the time/temp increase method demonstrated in the Waltons video. I hit a stall after reaching approximately 145-150°. After reaching this temp I’m thinking I’ve about got it but at this point it seems to reach a stall similar to cooking a pork butt. It then takes me upwards of 15 hrs to bring it to the 160-165°. Is this a normal timeframe?

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors

denny66 id say yes there is a stall, but have heard of others saying it takes that long, however it should not. Either add humidity in smoker or go to the sous vide method when you hit your stall

denny66 usually takes me 6.5 hours from start to finish for those summer sausage in the smoker

• Regular Contributors

denny66

Smoker heating capacity can be a limiting factor in getting your product internal temperature steps to keep increasing.

You can confirm this by reducing the weight of the product in the smoker while monitoring any changes in your cooking cycle and whether your internal temperature continue to stall.

twilliams suggestions are all valid points as well.

What kind of smoker are you using? Electric, gas or other? If electric, what is the watt rating.

processhead denny66 as well as how insulated is your smoker to retain consistent heat and temperatures

• Team Orange PK100 Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Power User

Yes, I get a stall like that at least a creep), but I don’t mind it at all. Since I’m shooting for a semi-dried product, I’m happy to get some extra evaporation. I keep it gentle with the temperature increases, too, to avoid fat out and case hardening. My favorite batches have been the ones I let go long.

When I’ve had enough of the waiting, I pop them into the sous vide for a quick finish.

• Team Orange Sous Vide Regular Contributors

If you want a quick result. Bump temp up slow. When it gets to 130deg ,finish in sous vide. You will never experience a stall ever again and can get a good nights sleep to boot.

• processhead said in Summer sausage is there a stall?:

denny66

Smoker heating capacity can be a limiting factor in getting your product internal temperature steps to keep increasing.

You can confirm this by reducing the weight of the product in the smoker while monitoring any changes in your cooking cycle and whether your internal temperature continue to stall.

twilliams suggestions are all valid points as well.

What kind of smoker are you using? Electric, gas or other? If electric, what is the watt rating.

As I stated I’m only making 10-15# batches. I’m using one of the cheaper electric smokers. I have used two different methods of monitoring the temp in the smoker and comparing it with the digital settings on the smoker itself. One is an oven thermometer that I leave in the smoker and also I have used a maverick remote probe that has been tested accurate place in the smoker.

• TexLaw

Give me more info please in case hardening or where I might find more info. Thanks

• smokinbubba said in Summer sausage is there a stall?:

If you want a quick result. Bump temp up slow. When it gets to 130deg ,finish in sous vide. You will never experience a stall ever again and can get a good nights sleep to boot.

I don’t know if I can do something I can’t pronounce!!! Isn’t specialized (read expensive) equipment needed here?

• Regular Contributors

denny66 said in Summer sausage is there a stall?:

smokinbubba said in Summer sausage is there a stall?:

I don’t know if I can do something I can’t pronounce!!! Isn’t specialized (read expensive) equipment needed here?

While the sous vide systems are really nice, people have been using hot water to cook and process sausage for a long time before the recent surge in their popularity.

You can use a large kettle and a heat source like a propane burner or stove top to accomplish the same thing. You need to manually monitor temperatures and stir the kettle from time to time.

The sous vide systems use controls and automation to do the same thing which offers convenience you don’t get with a simple kettle and burner.

• Regular Contributors

TexLaw

Give me more info please in case hardening or where I might find more info. Thanks

Case hardening is the term used to describe when the casing and a layer of surface meat dries and hardens too quickly early in the thermal processing cycle. When the case hardened layer forms, it interferes with the transfer of smoke flavor into the product and can interfere with the transfer of moisture out of the product that is needed for slow, controlled drying of the interior meat at the center of the casing.

Case hardening typically happens when the temperature in the smoker starts out too high and the humidity is to low, all of which dries the casing surface and the layer of meat just under the surface. This is why you usually see smoke schedules start out at low temps and are raised gradually over a period of time.

• Team Orange Sous Vide Regular Contributors

denny66 its easy. Pronounced sue v. And not expensive at all. I use an elcheapo yissvic brand from amazon. I think it was $59 or $69. I didnt want to spend big money on another kitchen gadget if it wouldnt work for my sausage addiction. Honestly, i will never make sausage without it (except fresh of course) ever again.
    Using a smoker alone can really limit you as to what can be accomplished. In my experience, anything more than 1.5" diameter was unreachable due to the verrry long smoke time. Now i am making 4" bologna and 2 5" trail bologna on a regular basis. My 4" bambi bologna was even cooked start to finish sv. No smoker required! The longer sausage stays in the smoker the more time there is for things to go wrong. Especially drying out. Cooking or finishing in water stops the drying process for obvious reasons. Plus u can use the sv cooker to cook salmon, chicken, boose. You name it

• processhead said in Summer sausage is there a stall?:

TexLaw

Case hardening is the term used to describe when the casing and a layer of surface meat dries and hardens too quickly early in the thermal processing cycle. When the case hardened layer forms, it interferes with the transfer of smoke flavor into the product and can interfere with the transfer of moisture out of the product that is needed for slow, controlled drying of the interior meat at the center of the casing.

Case hardening typically happens when the temperature in the smoker starts out too high and the humidity is to low, all of which dries the casing surface and the layer of meat just under the surface. This is why you usually see smoke schedules start out at low temps and are raised gradually over a period of time.

That maybe what’s happening to me. I know I start my temps out correct (by a calibrated thermometer)but every time I make SS I seem to develop a slight rind under the casing. Somewhat tougher and dryer in nature than the rest of the sausage. Probably slightly over 1/8” thick.
    So it must come down to moisture in my smoker. I don’t have to ever add any water to my very small water pan. Maybe I need to try the sponge method shown in Jonathan’s video?

• Regular Contributors

denny66

Sometimes there can be hot spots in a smoker. Electric smokers with exposed elements are bad about high heat in the vicinity of the element. Need to keep sausage away from heating elements or put in a shield to diffuse the heat.

• I’m pretty sure there is a shield however at 2-1/2 lbs if I hang them vertical the end is pretty close to the element.

• smokinbubba
    Sorry I didn’t mean to skip over you. I had to get clearances from Team Blue Police in order to have direct communications with a team orange. Just a jokin I wanted to cover 1 subject at a time. I’m seriously thinking of trying the sous vide method of finishing off my sausage. I might look it up on YouTube first and give a homemade rig a go first if not too complicated. Thanks for the info.

• Team Orange PK100 Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Power User

I might look it up on YouTube first and give a homemade rig a go first if not too complicated.

Sous vide is great because you have precise control over temperature and a bit more quicker cooking from convection from the water circulation. However, you really can get by fine just by poaching. It’s more hands-on, but it’ll probably give you a better idea if you like what sous vide does for your product.

• denny66 you can finish with steam get a pan of water boiling put it on your burner crank the heat all the way up close all vents will be finished a lot quicker

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

You can use a turkey roaster and it will do the same thing as a more expensive setup

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size