Red Eye Moonshine Spirited Sauce

• Walton's Employee

Spirited Seasonings

Red-Eye Moonshine Spirited Sauce

Bacon Wrapped Bison Steak Marinated in Red Eye Moonshine

Excalibur’s new Spirit Based line of seasonings and sauces all sound like they are going to be great additions to an already strong line of seasonings, the Red-Eye Moonshine is what we are going to be cooking with today. With a creamy texture and notes of coffee, tomato, chili, onion and red pepper this is a pretty complex seasoning. I’ve had a few small bison steaks in my freezer for a week or so now so I decided to marinate them with the Red-Eye Moonshine Spirited Sauce and wrap them in some homemade bacon!

I took 2 oz of the Red-Eye Moonshine and put both bison steaks in a vac bag and I will leave them in there for about 2 hours to let them marinate. The combination of the vacuum and the tenderness of the steaks should allow these steaks to absorb a lot of the flavoring in a short time. I am going to cook them at low temperature until they reach 130°. Sadly I won’t be reverse searing them as I’m at work and just don’t have time to spend monitoring it but that is my preferred method for cooking steaks of any kind. If you have never reverse seared a steak check out this post to learn how to put a perfect sear on any steak you cook!

I just pulled them off, somehow one of them got away from me and made it to 140°F, shame on me! That should never happen, there is no excuse that type of sloppiness! The other two look pretty perfect though.

The Red Eye Moonshine had a very nice creaminess to it, but I think it would have gone better with a different cut of meat, the Bison was so lean that it needed something like Ultimate Steak and Roast Rub to really bring out the underlying flavors. So, out of the three Excalibur Spirited Seasonings I have tried to far I have the Kentucky Bourbon the best, then the Spicy Vodka and then the Red Eye Moonshine. That’s not to say the Red Eye wasn’t good, I just chose the wrong cut of meat, I really think the creaminess of this would help it if you were going to do some chicken and then put it in something like a Caesar Salad.

Next I think I am going to try the Mango Moonshine Sauce on some fish, fish in the office, my coworkers are going to love me for that!

Shop waltonsinc.com for Kentucky Bourbon Spirited Sauce

Shop waltonsinc.com for Jamaican Jerk Rum Spirited Sauce

Shop waltonsinc.com for Red-Eye Moonshine Spirited Sauce

Shop waltonsinc.com for Spicy Red Vodka Spirited Sauce

Shop waltonsinc.com for Mango Moonshine Spirited Sauce

Red Eye Moonshine Spirited Sauce

Red Eye Moonshine Sauce

Kentucky Bourbon Spirited Sauce

Kentucky Bourbon Spirited Sauce

Recent Posts

• B

Hey folks,

New to the forum and excited to learn! Looking to smoke my first batch of summers on my smoker. I noticed they have strings for hanging, but my smoker is set up more like a traditional barrel grill.

Questions: If I lay my summers on the grate of the smoker, will the casings burst/burn?

Thanks in advance!

read more
  • D

The article does not cover when to cold smoke a cured ham. I have 16 wild hog hams in brine as of last night. I need to know at what point do I put them in the smoke house for this phase of the process.

read more
  • @woodduck
    A cure should be used. We’ve updated the recipe above to reflect that.
    @Jonathon was probably just sleeping when he posted this one… haha!

For this version of Landjaeger, we did actually cook it. It could be made differently, but for our entry level MeatgisticsU course, it’s easier and safer to give instructions on doing a proper thermal processing. (Someday we will have to try to get to doing a completely traditional dry cured version.)

Smoked Meat Stabilizer and Sodium Erythorbate are similar to each other, but definitely not a replacement for a real cure, like Sure Cure. They simply act as cure accelerators, speeding up the conversion of nitrite in sausage during thermal processing. Using an accelerator (like one of these, or Encapsulated Citric Acid) allows you to skip the holding stage after stuffing and go straight into the smokehouse.

read more
  • W

In the ‘Meat Block’ you don’t list using a cure. The packet of Landjaeger seasoning I purchased came with a packet of Cure.

As this is a sausage that is ment to be consumed without cooking shouldn’t a cure be used. I know you put in the wrap up about using Smoked Meat Stabilizer or Sodium Erythorbate are they equivalent to using a true cure.

read more
  • @tswohl6
    You shouldn’t have a noticeable difference in stuffing based upon the difference of using a grinder or a bowl chopper.
    Your biggest help in making stuffing easier will be using plenty of water. At least 1 quart per 25 lb meat block, but up to 2 quarts is even better. And, your lean to fat ratio will make a difference. Leaner meat will be harder to stuff while a higher fat content will make things easier. Keep the meat as cold as possible too and that will help make things a little easier to stuff as well.

read more
  • I would continue to use the grinder and just add a little more water to the mixture and make sure you lube the gasket and you should be good to go. Although you could definitely use the Buffalo chopper and just add ice instead of straight water and that should help.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.