• Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt PK100

Love reading this thread…congratulations and keep up the great posts and good luck on the next competition !!

• Regular Contributors Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Team Blue Power User

Midwest_kc great job and please keep the thread going.

• Team Blue Sous Vide PK Grills Green Mountain Grill Regular Contributors

I’m glad everyone is enjoying it. It’s been fun reflecting on things after the fact a little deeper and figuring out how to verbalize (or type) what happened and what I’m thinking.

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

reflection can be a good InSite to what you are trying to accomplish

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Midwest_kc Those are awesome trophies Darkfish89 Maybe something to try for 2022?

• Jonathon Yes those are cool.

Hey guys! I know I’ve failed miserably at keeping this up to date, but between work and cooking contests, I’ve just had absolutely no time. I think the work part is taken care of for a bit, so I’m going to share some updates, and get some stuff typed up.

In the meantime, I did a YT video for one of my sponsors I thought I’d drop a link for here. If this is not allowed, since it is in reference to another BBQ/Grilling store) my apologies.

https://youtu.be/CwHotJDzb1s

• Regular Contributors Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Power User Meat Hack Winner

No problem, work and competition come first

• Regular Contributors Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Power User Meat Hack Winner

No problem, work and competition come first

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

take your time we can wait for a good recant of the events !

Time for another, entirely to late update!

The last couple months have been busy at work, as just as soon as I think I have people hired, someone else leaves. This has left little time for anything other than work and prep for BBQ competitions.

Labor Day weekend we went to Omaha for their Septemberfest contest they hold along with their fall festival. We ended up parked right next to the festival which means we had a lot of looky loos, and people asking questions which was awesome to share what we do with the public.

Then in the evening, I got to tell teenagers to quit getting into my coolers and trying to take my beer. Finally I just moved the cooler into the trailer so I didn’t have to mess with it. Then, I went around talking to some friends to come back over and have them sitting in our chairs. All things that don’t really matter to me (I was a dumb teenager at one point too, and try to remember that others are now), but I was shocked that they would just sit down in other people’s spots on other’s stuff without thinking about it.

At the end of the day, we went down got 2nd brisket, 3rd chicken, 5th ribs, 7th pork and Reserve Grand Champion. I have the pictures somewhere, but you’ve seen plenty of my meat in this thread before. I also have a group picture somewhere, but maybe it’s on my wife’s phone? Not sure.

Mid September was the American Royal. This is referred to as the “BBQ Family Reunion” as there are people from all over the country (and most years the world) that you may only see that one week out of the year, but it’s like you see each other all the time. If there’s a good thing about social media, it’s that those of us in these niche groups can be closer than ever, and keep up to date with what is going on.

Thursday is the party night for the teams. Friday night gets all the public out, and there are some insane parties, but teams have stuff to cook the next day. Thursday, we just eat, drink, and enjoy. Snake River Farms always has their weinie roast, and then there becomes a wandering caravan of drunk bbq guys going from one person’s spot to the next until we settle somewhere that has music.

So after the parties Thu/Fri we got down to business. Saturday beginning at noon is the Invitational, which pits champions vs champions. Due to the pandemic and not having the Royal last year, this year had a record field of 188 teams vying to be the best of the best.

That afternoon is the side dish and ancillary competition which consists of veggies, beans, potato, dessert, turkey and sausage. These are fun entries, as it lets you get outside of your comfort zone a little bit, and be creative. They are also open to all 467 teams to enter, making a monster field.

Beans is always one of the most boring for us. I like our beans. They’re good. They don’t blow you away with any one thing, however, and they’re kinda tough to fancy up. We added a c**p ton of brisket to our normal beans to try and add a little something.

IMG_20211021_131529.jpg

Veggies we usually go too polarizing. In the past we’ve done collard greens, brussels sprouts, etc. One day we’ll learn to make corn, deep fry it, and call it a day. This year was not that day. We went with Green Bean Casserole in a pastry cup. Pretty tasty, but we overcooked the bottoms of the pastry just a hair.

IMG_20211021_131527.jpg

Potatoes was all about cheese and bacon. Made a bacon cheesy potato, put it in a twice baked potato shell. Was incredible.

IMG_20211021_131530.jpg

Dessert - If you only get to witness one food competition turn in ever, go witness the dessert turn in at the American Royal. The presentations are insane. The amount of effort that people put into it is truly stunning. Me? I just wanted to eat banana pudding. So I made banana pudding. It was exactly what I needed. Judges seemed to like it too.

IMG_20211021_131657.jpg

Turkey - here we go again, being polarizing. We made these turkey crustinis with brie and cranberry sauce, and I couldn’t stop eating them. Luckily, I did stop while we still had 6 to turn in…

IMG_20211021_131532.jpg

I don’t have a picture of the sausage turn in. My wife has it and refuses to let me share it. More on the sausage turn in later.

That evening we went to awards for the invitational. This was only for the main 4 meats (Chicken, ribs, pork, brisket). The rest would wait until Sunday night.

In order to get a call in a 188 team field, you have to do more than turn in good food. You have to turn in REALLY good food, and then get REALLY lucky. Even with them calling the top 20, it took a minimum of 176 out of 180 points to finish 20th in any category.

We got 20th in ribs and 17th in pork!

IMG_20210918_223449_084.jpg

Super exciting moment, as any time you get to walk at this event it means something. To do so twice was amazing.

After awards, we had to get everything prepped for Sunday, and try to get a couple hours of shuteye. We had another early morning, and jam packed day with 4 more turn ins.

I take this photo every year at the Royal. Ever since they moved it to Kansas Speedway, we’ve been in the same spot, and I get this same pic. Still Dark out. Smoke starting to rise into the air. It’s a very soothing picture for me and one I always look forward to taking.

IMG_20210919_051956_874.jpg

Everything went smooth on turn ins, then we got cleaned up and headed to awards for the Side dish as well as the open competition. 467 teams. Everyone trying to get on stage.

I’ll keep the drama short. We didn’t hear our name much. We did finish 24th in Beans, 31st in Dessert, and in the top 100 in everything but ribs and chicken (the same ribs that scored 20th the day before, lol). None of those were good enough for the MC to call out Meat Rushmore, however. We did, though, get to hear it once, and boy was it a big one - a World Championship in Sausage!!!

(forgive the watermark, they want $15 to download this picture)

Annotation 2021-10-21 135739.jpg

![0_1634844049814_20210919_182526.jpg](Uploading 100%)

The pin in the trophy with the yellow circle? That’s our 180 pin for a perfect score! On stage with us was our good friends Joe (with Slaps BBQ) and Aaron and Christy with Man Meat BBQ. To share the stage with 2 other local teams that we are so close to was amazing.

So the American Royal was in the books, with plenty of hardware including that sexy, sexy, square trophy.

IMG_20210920_204203_349.jpg

Last weekend we went down to Roswell GA for the Royal Oak Invitational. Royal Oak is one of our sponsors, and this was a fun event just for their teams, and for their employees to come out and see what Comp BBQ is all about. Royal Oak sponsors a little over 100 teams, and we were chosen with 33 other teams to come take part in this event. They did it up right, too. All our meals provided, meat to cook provided, free ice, power, water…everything you could ask for in a contest.

In that contest, including some of the biggest names in BBQ - Malcolm Reed, Heath Riles, Megan Day…Some of the biggest teams in comp bbq as well, we had our work cut out for us. The SCA event they had. Well, I turned it in. Still can’t figure steak contests out. I definitely enjoyed the practice steak, though!

The BBQ though, that went better. 1st in Ribs with a 180, 5th in pork with a 177, and 3rd overall with a 701, and the chance to sit on the Royal Oak Throne! We ended up 0.59 points short of winning the Grand Championship and the $10k that went with that, which would have gone a long ways, but super proud of what we could do in that field.

IMG_20211021_094147.jpg

We’ve got 4 more contests this season, spread out over 2 weeks. This weekend we’re off, then a double to end the points chase season. Then in November we’re off to Shawnee OK for the World Invitational.

• Sous Vide Dry Cured Sausage Traeger Team Blue

Congrats man and those potatoes are the BOMB!!!

Wow, good to hear from you again. Tell us more about that sausage!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.