• I’ve made several batches of Summer Sausage, and things are going great, people love them. Question I have, what makes Snack sticks different from SS? Is it just the size? Can I use my SS meat/seasoning and stuff it into a Snack casing (yes, I realize it will likely cook quicker being smaller, I will check it independently of the SS logs)?
    Thank you in advance.

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

Basically yes thats the only difference is size, although snack sticks seasoning has alot more flavor selection. Traditional summer sausage have a certain flavor that they try to maintain. I get about a pound of snack stick seasoning meat left over in my stuffer that i can not get out so i put it in a jerky gun and shoot it into a Summer sausage casing. No difference besides the size on that aspect.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

McCrackin Yeah, the main difference is size of the casings, sometimes there will be larger particles of seasoning in a summer sausage seasoning but not always. You can make any snack stick into summer sausage and the same thing vice versa. That is from a retail perspective, might not work for commercial processing as there need to be specific ingredients sometimes to be able to call some a Summer Sausage or ham or what not.

• Team Blue Canning Regular Contributors Power User

For many years, H summer sausage seasoning is all I used for sticks. I would add extra ingredients to get them to fit my taste, mostly garlic and red pepper flakes, and of course, hi temp cheese

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size