First Attempt at Landjaeger

• Regular Contributors

I always wanted to try to make Landjaeger after tasting an exceptional commercial example from Karl Ehmer from New York.
    [link text]https://karlehmer.com/product/meats/sausages/(link url)

Yesterday I made a pilot batch of the Walton’s Excaliber Landjaeger and finished smoking it last night.

I did a split batch of 6.25 lbs. 3lbs with ECA and 3lbs without ECA.

I used 75% lean venison and 25% pork butt for the meat block and stuffed it in hog casings.

This style of sausage is traditionally flat instead of round. I attempted to flatten them to by laying them out between two baking sheets with a meat lug 1/2full of water on top.

The sample I tasted warm out of the smoker was very good for both with and without the ECA, but I would have to say the batch without ECA tasted best. This morning I tried a cold sample and the flavor improved overnight.

If I were to do it over again, I would probably use a smaller hog casing or a large sheep casing as they turned out a little larger than what I was hoping for. I would probably link them next time too.

These would also make a pretty good snack stick. They have a mild dill flavor that I initially wasn’t sure if I would like, but it is a nice flavor.
    20210325_164316.jpg

20210326_074517.jpg

20210326_074711.jpg

• Nice,I was looking for some landjaeger advice for snack sticks, I’m going to try a ten pound meat block,was wondering about the ECA, I’ll try without. Just wondering about using another cure excellerator and sure gel, thanks.

• Regular Contributors

Snacks said in First Attempt at Landjaeger:

Nice,I was looking for some landjaeger advice for snack sticks, I’m going to try a ten pound meat block,was wondering about the ECA, I’ll try without. Just wondering about using another cure excellerator and sure gel, thanks.

If you are unsure about whether you will like ECA in a batch or not, it is pretty simple to mix some in to a small amount of of the batch just before stuffing and then figure out a way to keep track of it throughout the remainder of the processing.

I waited about 6 hours between mixing/stuffing and smoking. The batch without ECA was fully cured so a cure accelerant was not required in my case.

• Thanks,I’ll definitely be trying that.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

processhead I made langjaeger snack sticks once, just used the seasoning and made normal snack sticks really, but it was a nice all-around flavor. Not too crazy but a good traditional meaty taste.

• Regular Contributors

I shared the landjaeger with some friends today and asked for opinions on taste of the version with ECA and without ECA. Most preferred the ones with ECA, although I actually liked the one without ECA.

• Big Green Egg Team Blue

That looks great. Landjeager is definitely on my list

• Regular Contributors

Some additional thoughts on the test Landjaeger batches, both with and without ECA.
    Numbers of tasters favoring the version with ECA have a slight lead although no one had negative comments of either version.
    A couple of notable differences are the color and texture.
    The landjaeger without ECA was slightly darker in color and had a tighter texture with a better bind.
    The landjaeger with ECA was a little looser. Almost like there was some breakdown of the emulsion. I added the ECA at the very end of the mix and only mixed it for an additional minute or so. I then held it overnight and stuffed both versions the following morning. Stuffing and thermal processing was identical on both versions.

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

processhead you mixed and held in fridge then stuffed next day? Im surprised it didnt eat the gears in your stuffer.

• Regular Contributors

twilliams said in First Attempt at Landjaeger:

processhead you mixed and held in fridge then stuffed next day? Im surprised it didnt eat the gears in your stuffer.

No issues stuffing. Going into a hog casing though a medium funnel wasn’t much work.

Having the torque amplifier crank handle helps.😊

20210404_200659.jpg

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

processhead Yeah, I prefer that (actually I prefer almost everything) with the tang. There are a few that in my opinion though absolutely require it. Pepperoni, Salami, Lanjaeger and a few others.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size