Finishing jerky in sous vide?

• Has anyone finished any jerky in the sous vide. At what temperature did you pull from smoker. Am making some tomorrow have not made any jerky in A long time.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

shoprat53 I’ve sort of done that. Instead of finishing though I started it in the sous vide and then moved it to a smoker and a dehydrator. I found the smoker more appealing of the two finished batches. With jerky you want to get the temp to 160 fairly quickly as the more you dry it out the more difficult it will be to kill the bacteria and the nasty microbes we are worried about, so getting it to 160 stops that from being a worry.

One important thing of note is that you will want to lay them all out in the bags in a single layer, makes it sort of difficult and time consuming but i am interested in your results!

• Thanks for the information Jonathan, was curious to see if anyone had done jerky. Think I will just do it all in the smoker.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size