A sausage stuffer tip

• Team Blue

I like the idea of how to go about resolving something whether it’s a problem or just an inconvenience and seeing how others have overcome it. My initial post had to do with the frustration of the left over meat in the throat of the stuffer and trying something to remedy it. My first thought was putting a ball on top of the throat and then running the plunger down again. I tried the bread thing that I use to get the meat out of the auger of my grinder but all it did was mash flat on top of the meat due to the force it takes to push the meat into the casing. The lemon trick worked great and didn’t smash it. Next time I’ll put a second lemon on top of the first after the first one is pressed into the throat. As to the issue of the piston not going to the bottom of the stuffer can I’m wondering if the shaft could be reindexed at the top where the gears engage it so it would have more downward travel. I’m not familiar with the Cabela’s brand of stuffer so not sure if that’s possible. As I use to say in my cabinet shop-it’s not messed up if it can still be fixed! R!

• Regular Contributors

Fixing problems becomes a lot easier if people can post good photos of their equipment/problem.
    Clear, close up photos of the problem areas can really help to pin point the issue and aid with providing useful suggestions for a solution.

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

twilliams
    I can verify on my 5 & 11# Walton’s stuffer that only meat left is in the throat.

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

Well i just had an epic fail on fresh bratwurst, key note…when you start the process make sure you have the time to finish the process. Do not expect to continue the next day or two and be ok. End quality results did not fair well

• Regular Contributors Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Power User

twilliams Not pleasant to fail
    Do you mind telling us why and what was the failure?

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

glen well i ground my 25lbs of 80/20 pork trim with the 3/8" plate first grind, wanted to keep it cold as possible so i put in 12.5lb batches in 2 separate meat lugs and put in the chest freezer temporarily. Got busy doing something, dont remember what. Finally got all set to do second grind through the same 3/8" plate and it was solid as a rock. So i put them in fridge to thaw and continue next day instead. Next day comes, i took out of fridge and put back in freezer to stiffen up to grind better, yep forgot it again!! So i said heck with it and ground it anyways, that did not come out of grinder nice at all. Just all looked white. I threw the seasoning in and mixed. Real dry and pelletized looking. Put in stuffer and knew right away it wasnt gonna stuff right. So i took it out and put in fridge again with the other tote. Today took the seasoned mixed one and put in stuffer, again knowing its not gonna stuff right with the texture. Got it stuffed. Got the other tub and seasoning ready to mix, low and behold it was still frozen from being in the fridge. Mixed and stuffed anyways. Worst stuffing job i have ever did. I cooked 2 of each flavor on the grill. They just crumbled apart when i cut them in half and extremely dry. Im pretty down on myself as i am very a n a l and a perfectionist. Good thing is after the last 12 weekends in a row of meat processing i am finally done for a few weeks. I got a whole hog going in next week all to trim out for more bratwurst.

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User

twilliams Don’t beat yourself up. It can happen to anyone. With as much sausage as I make, as much smoking of meats, almost anything with food, I mess up some times. Would not even want to tally up the cost of all my mistakes over the years. What keeps me going is recognizing the successes and the acceptance of family, friends, and customers when it’s done right (I just try to never let them know when I do mess up. LOL)

• Regular Contributors Team Grey Sous Vide Canning Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Power User

twilliams Thanks for the explanation
    When you get busy and distracted those things can happen
    I can see where multiple freezing and thawing would take its toll

• Regular Contributors

twilliams
    Yeah been there. Get busy, get distracted and things fall through the cracks.
    If a person never makes a mistake, then they aren’t doing much with their life.

• Regular Contributors

And just a general comment about meat and seasoning batching. This is not directed at anyone in particular: I enjoy an adult beverage as much or more than anybody, but I learned the hard way that if you want to make good sausage, the refreshments need to be postponed till after all the critical measuring/batching steps are done.

processhead said in A sausage stuffer tip:

And just a general comment about meat and seasoning batching. This is not directed at anyone in particular: I enjoy an adult beverage as much or more than anybody, but I learned the hard way that if you want to make good sausage, the refreshments need to be postponed till after all the critical measuring/batching steps are done.

Amen to that. Been there, done it.

twilliams
    Thanks for sharing. Pretty sure we’ve all been there. It’s how we learn and move forward.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size