Newbie. Just getting started and have questions :)

• I am going into this home sausage-making as a complete newbie! (Started fermenting sauerkraut and now husband wants sausage). I digress……

I recently purchased the following sausage seasonings and add-ins from Waltons:

• Willies Snack Stick

• Polish sausage

• Hot Link sausage

• Fresh Onion and Garlic Bratwurst

• 1 lb high-temp cheddar (to split between the Polish and Fresh Bratwurst)

• 1 lb high-temp pepper jack (to split between the Snack Sticks and the Hot Links)

• Encapsulated citric acid (For the snack sticks. Where else should I use this?)

• Carrot fiber (Can this be used in all sausages?)

I have 17mm smoke color collagen casings for the snack sticks and 26mm clear collagen casings for the rest.

I have a Masterbuilt 36" Bluetooth digital electric smoker with optional cold smoke box (which I use for bellies with Waltons Dry Rub Bacon Cure).

What are the smoking process and times for Hot link, as well as Polish sausage? I have looked on the Walton’s site and cannot seem to find those resources.

I have carrot fiber to add to the smoke items. Can carrot fiber be added to fresh bratwurst to smooth out the texture and retain moisture? We prefer a smoother, less coarse sausage.

Any good Banger seasoning mixes or recipes out there? Our favorite bangers come from Silva Sausage Co. in Gilroy, CA. - that is my target goal 🙂

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to your expert replies 🙂

• Walton's Employee

@Jurae said in Newbie. Just getting started and have questions 🙂:
    Hello and welcome Jurae! First, good choices on seasonings, the Willies is always a crowd pleaser and I have been itching to try the Onion and Garlic Brat for a while now, so you will have to let me know how that comes out.

Smoking process for Hot Link would be
    120° for 30 minutes without smoke
    130° for 30 minutes with smoke
    140° for 30 minutes with smoke
    150° for 30 minutes with smoke
    160° for for 15 minutes with smoke
    170° until the internal temp of the hot link is 160° without smoke

Cool it down for 20 minutes in an ice bath to bring the internal temperature down and stop the cooking process

For Polish the smoking schedule would be a little easier
    120° for 30 minutes with no smoke
    145° for 60 minutes
    185° until internal temp reaches 160°

Then cool down in an ice bath for 20 minutes.

For carrot fiber you can absolutely use it in a non smoked sausage like a bratwurst, we often do as it gives more volume and I tend to like the texture better as well, I have been using carrot fiber in all my sausage products recently as it is allergen free, inexpensive and does an amazing job at moisture retention.

I have never made Bangers but I do have a recipe from our vendor that I am going to email you, along with a copy of this post.

I hope I answered all your questions and if you have anymore we always try to respond as quickly as possible!

Thank you,

• Newbie Waltons has great products and Meatgestics is an amazing resources. I would like to recommend a book you should get
    Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by
    Rytek Kutas. It has a wealth of information for a Newbie. Enjoy your sausage.

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.